Missing OG with 9# malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmylie

Reaction score
Used the following recipe:

10.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
10.0 oz Dark Wheat Malt
3.0 oz Roasted Barley
5.0 lb Dry Wheat (Muntons)
4.0 lb Dry Light (Muntons)
1.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min

I was thinking my OG post boil and cooled to 60 degrees would be about 1.08-1.09 based on the amount of DME utilized in the recipe. I soaked the specialty grains for half hour per Jamil's technique but wasn't looking for gravity points from those grains. After boil and top off, with 15 minutes of mixing, the OG was 1.06.

Does anyone know of any reason as to why the gravity would be so low? If it was not the mixing, what else could it be attributed to? I did a 90 minute boil and ended up topping off with 1.5 gallons. Any help would be appreciated.

mfs

hmmm, that is pretty low. Just to make sure, you said the temp of the wort was 60 degrees when you measured it correct? What was the final volume?

Its hard to get an exact reading when using top off water. Use the calculated OG for extract. The only way your OG would be off by using extract is using a different volume than what your recipe calls for.

Yup, probably just a top off water mixing issue. If you put the amount of extract in that the recipe calls for, and your total volume was correct to the recipe, then your OG is exactly what the recipe says it is. There isn't any way to miss your OG with extract apart from topping off with too much water or not adding all the extract. If you didn't do that stuff, your OG is what it's supposed to be.

Well I realized what I think was the problem. When I went back to clean the kettle I lifted out the false bottom and there was a ton of liquid left in the pot. I measured it and it was almost 1.5 gallons. I measured the gravity of this wort and it was 1.09. So, my brewing buddy didn't empty the kettle completely. I'm assuming this is where the problem stemmed from.
mfs

Back