Missing an estery profile from 3787

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesemicullen

Reaction score
I brewed a Golden Strong on 6/15 and double pitched some Wyeast 3787. It fermented as vigorously as others have noted before. It has slowed quite a bit the past couple of days and last night I decided to take a sample to check the gravity. OG was 1.080 and it's down to 1.012, which is good by me, although I understand from other posters that the yeasties probably still has some life in them and could go further.

My issue is that the sample I pulled didn't have any of the estery flavors I was expecting from this yeast. It was my first time using 3787. I chose it specifically because it tolerates warmer fermentation temps (I don't have a fermentation chamber, so it is fermenting in my kitchen in a cool water bath around 70F). I thought the warmer temps would encourage *more* esters, but the sample was quite bland. Is it just too soon?

Recipe:
12.8# Pilsner
1.6# Munich Light
1.6# Clear Belgian candi sugar

1 oz. Hallertau for 60
0.4 oz. Styrian Golding for 30
0.8 oz. Chech Saaz at flameout

Expected OG: 1.079
Actual OG: 1.080
Expected FG: 1.020

I made this exact recipe last month but used T-58 and got a lot more character.

There's a yeast flavor profile chart in Brew Like A Monk for the Belgian yeasts from Wyeast. For fermentation temperatures of 65 to 75F, it lists clove, pineapple, and alcohol for the profile. It list "fruity" for temperatures 75 to 85 F, amongst other flavors. It's based on information provided by Wyeast. You may have fermented too cool. I haven't used this yeast so can't comment based on experience.

I never had much luck with that strain giving much of an ester profile. I think its pretty restrained. I prefer the chimay or the achouffe . Chimay is fruity achouffe is spicy

I tried everything as far as pitch rates and temperature ramps with the westmalle nothing worked it was always too clean

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back