Missed my OG by 10pts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bGoliath

Reaction score
My target OG was 1.042-1.055 and I got 1.033. Can I adjust that in anyway now that it's in the fermenter?

My target OG was 1.042-1.055 and I got 1.033. Can I adjust that in anyway now that it's in the fermenter?

Let me guess.... extract batch, partial boil, and you measured your gravity after adding top off water to the fermenter?

If yes to the above, then you didn't miss your gravity at all. It just wasn't well enough mixed. :D

Let me guess.... extract batch, partial boil, and you measured your gravity after adding top off water to the fermenter?

If yes to the above, then you didn't miss your gravity at all. It just wasn't well enough mixed. :D

Haha, you're right, I forgot to shake it up before taking the reading. thanks!

Haha, you're right, I forgot to shake it up before taking the reading. thanks!

the real b of the whole thing is that even if you shake it up, a lot of times you'll have this happen, although to a lesser extent. It takes a surprising amount of shaking to really get the whole thing evenly mixed.

The good news about doing extract is that if you use the right amount of sugar and end up with the right amount of wort, you will be at the right gravity. there's pretty much no way around it.

I'm making my first batch as well. This probably explains why I was 5 points off on mine too. I think next batch i will do a full boil since i have a large enough kettle.

If it's an extract batch with top off water, you used the right amount of extract, and you hit your volume - you CANNOT miss the target gravity. I made this mistake twice, myself.

Just assume your recipe's OG and move on.

I experienced the same thing on my first extract batch, I was over my OG by 20 points but it was bc i didn't mix it well. The FG ended up right on money so don't worry about the low OG.

I'm making my first batch as well. This probably explains why I was 5 points off on mine too. I think next batch i will do a full boil since i have a large enough kettle.

If you do this make sure you adjust your hops. The first time I decided to do a full boil I didn't and instead of an amber I got a nice pail ale.

Ended up being pretty good though, so alls well that ends well I guess.

billyf111 said:
If you do this make sure you adjust your hops. The first time I decided to do a full boil I didn't and instead of an amber I got a nice pail ale.

Ended up being pretty good though, so alls well that ends well I guess.

Oh yeah, thanks.

Back