Mint in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBlick

Reaction score
I've got some mint growing in my yard and I was just out there smelling it thinking it might be a good flavor to add to a 3 gallon batch of apfelwein I have that's about ready to go into a secondary and age.

Has anyone tried this combination? How much do you think I'd need if I were to try it?

I'd crush some up and let it steep in a neutral spirit, then add it to a pint of AW to see if you like the result. From there, you can extrapolate how much to add to a full batch, or just keep adding it when serving.

I had a cyser that picked up a minty flavor somehow in the fermentation process, it's been over a year now and it shows no sign of going away. It could be an acquired taste, but I really don't like it. Ever brush your teeth then have a glass of fruit juice right after? yeah. bleh.

Ever had a mojito? I was surprised to find they put mint & lime in it, and they work well together. You might want to try some small scale flavour experimentation (in a drinking glass) before you actually add mint to the carbouy. It's just a thought. Regards, GF.

Ever had a mojito? I was surprised to find they put mint & lime in it, and they work well together. You might want to try some small scale flavour experimentation (in a drinking glass) before you actually add mint to the carbouy. It's just a thought. Regards, GF.

But it's a very light lime flavor and the mint is complimented by a strong sugar presence to sweeten the mint.
Mint and tart does not sound good to me, but give it a shot in a pint.

i think comparing apple juice to orange juice is not the same thing. My 2 cents are that apfelwein loses alot of its apple taste, I would experiment, you never know until you try it. I use mint in all my teas now. A lot of places do. I've thought about make a simple syrup (sugar water mint leaves heated) then just add to make mojitos and margaritas.

Thinking about this some more, you'd probably have more success doing this with a semi-sweet Apfelwein, i.e. one made with ale yeast like WLP 060 and maybe less or no table/corn sugar.

Back