Mint beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjackel53

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do a mint kolsch. I have an idea of brewing a 5 gal batch and adding a half gallon batch of mint tea at flame out and cooling it down to pitching temp. Would tea be a weird flavor to add? Or would fresh mint be better in flameout?

I think mint leaves at flameout would be better. If you want to get an idea of the flavor you could find a commercial kolsch pour it into a mason jar and cold steep some mint leaves or tea for 24 hours.

I have thought about mint beer, because our mint plants always seem to grow insanely huge every year. About the only style of beer that I thought might go with mint was a porter or stout, where the chocolatey flavors might blend well with mint. I hadn't thought of Kolsch... a cucumber-mint saison crossed my mind, too.

I have made some mint cider with good effect. I added the mint leaves to the cider in secondary. I muddled them with just enough vodka to cover the finely chopped leaves. Then I dumped the liquor and leaves into the glass vessel. I can't remember how much it was, probably a handful of leaves to 1 gallon of cider for two weeks. The mint didn't hit up front, it lingered in your mouth after you swallowed... more of a cool refreshing feel in your mouth.

The problem with mint is that if you go too much, you really know it! This is why I made a mint extract and added the extract to my bottling bucket so that I could taste it as I added. This will help ensure that you do not add too much, but also helps ensure you get the amount you want.

The mint extract does take a while though. I think I had mine soaking in vodka for at least 3 months, but it was taken out of our garden.

I added it into a porter, which I did 3 ways. Bottled some as the standard porter. Then added some mint extract until I thought it had the taste that I wanted, then bottled that. Then I added some chocolate extract that I had soaking in bourbon for about a month, added this to taste as well. Worked out really well!!!

I've tried mint leaves in a brew before, and it tasted like a mint leaf, but that can taste a little medicinal, like a mouthwash. I think most people associate mint flavor they taste in food and what not with peppermint. For example that is generally used in mint ice cream. I haven't done that directly, but it looks like @Redcardbrews has had success there, and if I were doing another one I would try the same. However it probably depends on the mint profile you are looking for.

Back