Minimum time for carbonating in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Hi -

Normally I wouldn't ask such a question, because I am a firm believer in letting time do its work and improving the beer, but this time, the circumstances are not normal, so it is time to talk about time.

My son brewed a Spruce Ale, allowed it to ferment and bottled it Tuesday of this week. He gave me some to share with a friend on a trip I am taking - I'll meet up with my friend next Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Is this time enough for the beer to have carbonated? It will be (mostly) at room temperature or above through this time, and of course I'd like to refrigerate it at least 1 night prior to drinking, which means that it would hit the fridge on Monday. This is only 6 days for carbonation, so naturally, I have a few concerns.

Please advise, and thank you -

Ron

I have only been brewing for just over a year, but my experience has been 1 week will barely be carbonated. My experience for 4 - 6% ABV, 2 weeks really is needed. Once you go higher than 6% ABV then more time is needed.

Hi, guys, and thanks for weighing in -

Yep, that's the thing. This beer should be at 5.7%, so it is smack-dab in the middle of the range you mention.

I guess we can sample it with the understanding that it will be a little under-carbonated....

Bottle conditioned a saison a couple weeks ago. Kept it conditioning in mid 70s and was fully carbonated in 5 days.

Some Belgian breweries bottle condition in the mid to upper 80's, but Belgian yeasts thrive at those temps, while most others throw off flavors. I think you would be safe if you kept it to the upper part of what the yeast can handle and shave some time off the carbonation period.

Better yet, get it real cold and find a homebrewer that kegs and force carbonate in a PET bottle.

Guys - thanks for the replies so far. It looks like I might have a reason to at least hope ~

We're going to be on the road for those days between now and when I meet up with my friend in South Dakota, so I'm hoping that enough carbonation will take place in the car. I'm keeping the other beers (9 different varieties total) in an insulated bag and refrigerating them at night, but will keep this Spruce Ale separate and at a minimum of 70 degrees. I also gave it a gentle swirl/roll this morning, just to keep the yeast off the bottom. Hopefully, this will be enough.

I am checking with my son to see which yeast he used. I think it might have been s33, but don't quote me on that, as the recipe says s04. And it could have been something entirely different, as he likes to experiment a bit.

When I find out, I'll post. For now, thanks again -

Ron

I checked with my son, and he did say that he used S04 - I don't know too much about this yeast.

Agreed, KH - if I would have had ANY other homebrew to take with me, I would have left this one at home, but It rounded out the selection with no alternates.

The original plan was to take 2 bottles of each beer that I have on hand (1 for each of us), for a total of 6 varieties (which would make it 2 full 6-packs of bottles). Sometime after that, I brewed an extra batch of something that I just HAD to bring, and my son added a couple of types that he wanted to send along with me, so now we're up to three 6-packs total.

So, by the time we crack this particular beer open, we might have had so many other ones that the level of carbonation (and conditioning) will be a moot point! :tank:

My impatience gets the best of me all the time, and unfortunately few of my batches last into a month in the bottle, nearly every batch I start trying a week in. Definitely a little less than desired carbonation, with s33 being an exception I'd say. But biggest issue is flavor and aroma at that stage. A green, and slightly apple aroma and taste. Not terrible, but the beer is much better with another week or 2. I had a bottle set aside of an ipa I did and accidentally left it for 5 weeks, then refrigerated it for 2, and it was the best ipa I had tasted (that I'd brewed lol) to date. Fun to get a taste early, but guaranteed better with more time.

If it is riding in a car it will be stired a lot and with the yeast in suspension it will carb up quicker , now will it be enough I don't know there is to many variables . :mug:

Hey, guys -

Quick update: the beer did carb up...it was a little light, but not nearly as light as I thought it would be. Considering the profile (spruce ale flavoured with molasses), I think a slightly heavier carbonation would have been better, but the beer itself was quite good, actually.

Thanks to all!

Ron

Back