Minimum Amount of Extract When Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
I'm brewing this beauty this weekend in honor of one of my favorite styles and festivals: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-munich-madness/

My question is this, and not to start a debate, but if I subscribe to the idea that it's boiling extract that causes extract twang (it is a thing in my book), how much extract can I get away with putting in the kettle to insure a smooth hops character? Beersmith's blog says you should put 15-25% extract in with hops. However, this recipe calls for 3/4 of a pound of Crystal 60. Is that enough sugar?

I'm brewing this beauty this weekend in honor of one of my favorite styles and festivals: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-munich-madness/

My question is this, and not to start a debate, but if I subscribe to the idea that it's boiling extract that causes extract twang (it is a thing in my book), how much extract can I get away with putting in the kettle to insure a smooth hops character? Beersmith's blog says you should put 15-25% extract in with hops. However, this recipe calls for 3/4 of a pound of Crystal 60. Is that enough sugar?
Exactly zero extract is necessary.

You will just need to recalculate your ibus, as plain water extracts ibus better than wort. Just throw in the extract at flame out.

The crystal shouldn't see such a high temperature. Just "mash" it in prior to the boil at about 70c.

Exactly zero extract is necessary.

You will just need to recalculate your ibus, as plain water extracts ibus better than wort. Just throw in the extract at flame out.

The crystal shouldn't see such a high temperature. Just "mash" it in prior to the boil at about 70c.
I didn't mean to imply the crystal would be boiled. I'll be keeping that around 150-160 F.

FWIW, a web search on
"boil hops, not extract"
should get you to an article or two on the topic. I did something similar one time a number of years ago (the beer came out fine). Currently, when I brew extract+steep, it's either "1 min boils" or "no boils". Again, the beer comes out fine for me.

Back