Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7d/68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14d/68F
Additional Fermentation
Used Amylase Enzyme
Tasting Notes
Super Light - Like Miller with Hop Aroma & Taste - No corn flavor whatsoever.
Miller Lite Clone - Triple Hopped - AG

I was a bit skeptical about this beer being so light and void of malt character when I put this together. I was pleasantly surprised on how decent it was once it was cold and fully carbed. I kept the IBU intact per Charlie Papazians original recipe. Just added the flame-out hops and dry hopping. I also subbed the lager yeast with S-05. The amylase enzyme added to the 2ndary makes this super dry so it tastes just like a lager. This is an easy quaffer, pratically chug-able after mowing the the lawn. This is especially true with the cascade since it adds a briskness to the beer.

If you make this for the hardest of the hard-core BMC drinkers I'd use German or Czech hops.

This is a pretty cheap beer to make, it cost me about $12.00 for a 6 gallon batch (I bump mine up to 6gal for racking losses.)

The ABV is 4.2% if you hit 75% . I exceeded that at 92% and had a beer at 4.6% ABV. The enzyme does a good bit to raise the ABV for pennies on the dollar. For me it got me another 1.1%

This is a convenient way to use up misc leftover hop packages.:rockin:
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.030 Plato: 7.68
Anticipated SRM: 2.0
Anticipated IBU: 17.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 18.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.85 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.022 SG 5.64 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

36.4 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
31.8 1.75 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 1.035 2
31.8 1.75 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

0.60 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 17.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.00 Tsp Amylase Enzyme 14 Days( 2ndary fermenter)

Yeast
-----

Fermentis US-05 Safale (For Summer brewing)
Chuck's version calls for Wyeast 2007

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 5.50
Water Qts: 7.43 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.86 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.35 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 147 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 175 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.30 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----

The enzyme goes in the 2ndary - DON'T FORGET THIS!!!!

The enzyme makes it dry, so its clean and crisp, plus it boosts the alcohol.

I needed a blow-off on my secondary. It bubbled like crazy for a week.

Awards
------

Served two types at the Des Moines Jimmy Carter Happy Hour both types lasted about 75 minutes.

1st Batch All Cascade

2nd Batch Combination of German Noble Hops

Extract Version:

The book has an extract recipe if you want to try this. To me its not really the same thing since it uses rice. I have not made the extract version. It prolly very close to being more like Bud Light. If you use the AE in the 2ndary it will be very clean and crisp. Beginners should use the S-05 ale yeast ferment as normal with a 2ndary, and then cold condition the bottles for several weeks 3-6 weeks.

Extract ML Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 2.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 3.75
Anticipated OG: 1.029 Plato: 7.23
Anticipated SRM: 1.6
Anticipated IBU: 17.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
60.0 2.25 lbs. Muntons LME - Extra Light England 1.037 3
40.0 1.50 lbs. Rice Syrup Generic 1.040 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 17.0 - 45 min.
0.25 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 17.0 - 0 min.
0.25 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 17.0 - Dryhopped

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Amylase Enzyme Other 14 Days(fermenter)

Yeast
-----

Fermentis US-05 Safale

Notes
-----

Add AE when racking to 2ndary

This is what it looks like, as if you need a picture! :D

MLC_002.jpg

I just have a question about the enzyme addition. Why the secondary?
Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the mash? Or if you want it to operate for a longer time add it right after chilling? Even during the chilling process once your wort is below 150F?

Just curious about how anylase enzyme is used.

Craig

Not 100% sure - It drys it out, lets it crank down to 1.000 I followed Charlie P's recipe as stated about the amylase enzyme (AE ). I'm guessing you want a real 2ndary ferment. You let it crank until it just about putters out 1.006-1.012. Then add the AE so that it only has to attack the real complex starch molecules, the bigger chains, so that it can convert them to sugar. Once those are converted the yeast can crank away to dryness.

I will read the recipe again and see it explains this better. Edit: After rereading it I didn't find much. Charlies Book TNCJOHB has tid bit on AE. It has a some not worth recapping too much here since you can look it up easily. He basically states that its used in mash conversions, that it naturally exists and also says that its used in 2ndary cold storage in the commercial industry. Light beer makers.

I found this if you want to read about it more.Using Enzymes...

FWIW - I have made this beer 3 times. The first two times I only added AE to the 2ndary, this last time and with Biermunchers 3-Crop, I used it in the mash and 2ndary.

The 1st two beers cranked down 1.009 and stopped. Then in the 2ndary cranked down to 1.000.

The 2nd two beers cranked down lower, about 1.004. I added it the 2ndary and they are ready to keg now, I'm pretty sure they are at 1.000.

You can do it either way, it all depends on how well the yeast can convert all the sugars down into glucose without a little help. The 2ndary addition probably helps out those tuckered out yeast cells. It may also help with some clarification too.

BTW - I noticed this also removed the corn taste that was quite noticeable on the way to the 2ndary.

I just have a question about the enzyme addition. Why the secondary?
Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the mash? Or if you want it to operate for a longer time add it right after chilling? Even during the chilling process once your wort is below 150F?

Just curious about how anylase enzyme is used.

Craig

I bet you could do this too. I think its easier just to do it once and you also use less enzyme. It pretty damn cheap but if you are a big brewer saving on ingredients helps the profit margin quite a bit. According to Chuck the big boys use it for conditioning.

Do you think the 6-row and corn are necessary for this brew-flavor wise?I'm in uncharted territory w/ such a low gravity and wondering how much flavor can come thru on a beer fermented so low.
If I did this all 2-row and (1) 1/4oz.magnum bittering addition,it looks like my cost would be around $10 for 5 gals.

Do you think the 6-row and corn are necessary for this brew-flavor wise?I'm in uncharted territory w/ such a low gravity and wondering how much flavor can come thru on a beer fermented so low.
If I did this all 2-row and (1) 1/4oz.magnum bittering addition,it looks like my cost would be around $10 for 5 gals.

Maybe, but 6-row has alot more enzymes for converting adjuncts. The 2-row has less dextrines. Having both are good I think. You can try it either way. More often people will use 6-row for high adjuncts. It was more traditional in Amercan Beers a long time ago.

Both barley types are modified well. I think the risk is low for mashing with just 2-row. Maybe step mash or add enzyme powder in your mash. Definitely mash at 147.

Note the flavor is very minimal. Were talking light beer here!! :D

Its not quite the color of Miller Lite, but it really looks wonderful.

How's the all Cascade version ? That much late Cascade and Dry Hop Cascade makes me worried it would be a lot -- thats really a mouth full of Cascade in such a small beer.

I've been wanting to make an all Cascade lager for about a year now, since I read Papa Charlie's "Rocky's Raccoon" recipe.

This will probably be the next beer I try. I've made several beers similar to this, you know light beers but I haven't had the nerve to try going as low as .030 to start yet.

I've got plenty of w34/70 and a couple pounds of Cascades in the freezer from last year that need to get used up, I'll stop and get the enzyme at the brew store before this weekend.

cheers!

How's the all Cascade version ? That much late Cascade and Dry Hop Cascade makes me worried it would be a lot -- thats really a mouth full of Cascade in such a small beer.

I've been wanting to make an all Cascade lager for about a year now, since I read Papa Charlie's "Rocky's Raccoon" recipe.

This will probably be the next beer I try. I've made several beers similar to this, you know light beers but I haven't had the nerve to try going as low as .030 to start yet.

I've got plenty of w34/70 and a couple pounds of Cascades in the freezer from last year that need to get used up, I'll stop and get the enzyme at the brew store before this weekend.

cheers!

I was thinking about the color I wonder if they "Miller" add food coloring to darken it or add a little crystal. I'm ok with lighter color its more like a corona in appearance.

It was a bit much of for the cascade, at first, but it mellowed with time. I dry hopped the hell out of it tho. Once its cold its pretty good. Its brisk and refreshing. Citrusy.

I'm drinking sorachi ace right now. Its not too much.

I do believe there is a diminishing return. If I late hopped with 50% less I doubt I could have noticed the difference. I have pounds of hops so I'm eager to do late additions. I have a big harvest coming soon in August.

Try it, but let it set for a bit, so its not so crazy hoppy. If you are concerned about it, just use less.

Note the flavor is very minimal. Were talking light beer here!! :D

We're on the same page with that statement.I was thinking of a way to come up with a cheap starter recipe for a guy who loves ML-so yeah,the order of the day is "less flavor is more".
He actually approached me with the question "Can you brew this beer (meaning BMers C3C recipe) with only 100 calories?"Looks like this would do it.Thanks for your time.:mug:

We're on the same page with that statement.I was thinking of a way to come up with a cheap starter recipe for a guy who loves ML-so yeah,the order of the day is "less flavor is more".
He actually approached me with the question "Can you brew this beer (meaning BMers C3C recipe) with only 100 calories?"Looks like this would do it.Thanks for your time.:mug:

You might tame down the late hops for him. The 0 & Dry could prolly be omitted or cut back slightly. Unless you think you're gonna drink most of the batch.

I was thinking about this, my buddy & I made one with 4 german style hops; Liberty, Hallertauer, Tettnanger, Perle.

If you tasted it you would NOT think its over "late" hopped, but since a cascade in this beer is so unusual it seems to be a bit heavy on the cascade.

I really thought it was a little over the top until I tasted the german-style version. Like I said let it sit for a bit or use slightly less if you want.

I served this at 40F. Forced carbed at 15psi.

Did your efficiency go up w/ this batch?When I brewed C3C I ended up having to dilute to keep the gravity down.Chalked it up to using low amt of ingredients and using adjuncts.Ended up w/ 5.75gals and the kraeusen got up into the A/L

Did your efficiency go up w/ this batch?When I brewed C3C I ended up having to dilute to keep the gravity down.Chalked it up to using low amt of ingredients and using adjuncts.Ended up w/ 5.75gals and the kraeusen got up into the A/L

If my efficiency goes up I'm ok with the extra ABV. I never dilute. I have a consistent Eff% of 75%. Often with 90 min mashes it goes up higher to about 85-90%.

You might even want to have some extra Lt. DME just in case it goes the other way. I have never needed it, but I do a starch conversion test too.

With this beer if you target 4.0% ABV but you get 4.5% ABV that's no problem. You know what I mean?

Yep. My eff is normally 72% like clockwork.I'll calculate a batch at that and adj. on the next one if the OG is crazy high.

I did some reading in the same book were I got this recipe. There's a recipe for Icehouse where they use a tiny amount of black malt for color.

My recipe as it stands is 2 SRMs The style range is 2-3.

If you want to hit 3 SRM with negligible calorie & cost additions add the following. According to ProMash
  • .16oz or 4.5g of Black Malt (SRM 600)
or
  • .19oz or 5.4g of Black Patent Malt. (SRM 525)
:mug:

I was thinking about this, my buddy & I made one with 4 german style hops; Liberty, Hallertauer, Tettnanger, Perle. .

I would bet that would be really good too.

I've made beers similar to this and gotten great results with only 1/2 oz of Perle at 50 minutes.

I've kind of been thinking about getting an ounce each of some of those kind of hops and just mixing them all up and using about 1/2-3/4 an ounce for the bittering.

Is that basically what you did ?

I think I will continue to just leave the late and dry hops off entirely.

Did you do a cereal Mash or anything with your corn ?

I think I'm going to leave the corn out and use rice flakes or a combination of rice syrup solids and dextrose to make up the difference.

I calculated the 60 min hop addition to 16-18 IBUs. 0 & Dry I winged it with a full oz.

For the German I think we used;
  • Liberty, Hallertauer, partial packs like a 1/4 + 1/3 oz of leftovers to hit right at 18 IBUs
  • Tettnanger, partial pack ~.80 oz at 0 min
  • Perle 1oz dry leftover from a 2oz pack.
My buddy wanted to use up his partial packs so I helped him pick what hops to use at 60 so it would be on target and be done with storing partial packs of hops.

Whatever you use to bitter try to hit the target. Use software or I can calc it for you. Calculating it is pretty important for bittering. It doesn't take much to get 18 IBUs with such a small grain bill. Not to mention hallertauer can be 3.2 or 5.6 AAU. Without the calculation you can undershoot or overshoot if your not careful.
Even a change in the late addition of say 1 oz of tetnanger going from 0 back up 5 min can bump your IBU 3-4 points.

No cereal mash. I used flaked corn and did a 90 min. infusion mash at 147F.

Try the corn, if you go with rice you're making Bud Light. Unless you want that...

I'd skip the dextrose, have either that or Lt DME if you hit a low SG.

Be advised with this small of a grain bill you might want to use a 5 gal mash tun or fill your tun with a few wal-mart bags that are stuffed with lots of bags. Bag in a bag trick. The thought to take up or insulate the air space.

Try the corn, if you go with rice you're making Bud Light. Unless you want that...

I might try the corn. I've been pretty happy with rice in the past though.

Silly question now, for the corn - can you use Corn Flakes ? You know like Kellogg's Corn Flakes or Post Toasties ?

this is great. Ive been trying to look for something dirt cheap i can brew up for beerpong. this is perfect!!! thanks:rockin:

I might try the corn. I've been pretty happy with rice in the past though.

Silly question now, for the corn - can you use Corn Flakes ? You know like Kellogg's Corn Flakes or Post Toasties ?

No! LOL - Use flaked corn from your home brew store.

According to Chuck's book TNCJOHB you can use cornstarch, but he step mashes in that other pale ale recipe (Its called Amaizing Pale Ale). I don't know how well corn starch works in a single-step infusion mash. The ratio was 7# of 6-row to 1# CS.

If you are going to the effort to make this, I'd use the homebrewers flaked corn its almost 1/3 of the recipe. With this small of a beer good ingredients will be paramount. The flaked corn should mash easily for you.

The book has an extract recipe if you want to try that. To me its not really the same thing.

• 2.25# Extra Light DME
  • 1.5# Rice Extract Syrup
  • Hops to 16-18 IBU @ 60 min ~ 3.5AAU's
    • 2.5 gal boil size
  • Irish Moss @ 10 min
  • 1 tsp amylase enzyme in the 2ndary

I posted this on another site a while back and someone HAD done it.
They said the flakes totally disentegrated,the runoff was very slow and cloudy,and the beer never cleared.
Someone else said that they had used cheerios with good success as a toasted oat sub. in an oatmeal stout.

this is great. Ive been trying to look for something dirt cheap i can brew up for beerpong. this is perfect!!! thanks:rockin:

Keep me posted on how this goes for you.

Right now I'm really diggin' the Sorachi Ace in this beer. When I suck in the foam right after tapping one it has a nice lemony taste. Its so refreshing with the warm weather and tastes great with the tequila-lime turkey tenderloin that I had with dinner!

Me and my son were getting some sun today. He needs it for his eczema.

To quench my palate, I had a few of these. I just LOVE sorachi ace dry hopped!!! The lemony taste is so good when its hot outside.

ML-Sorachi_Ace_004.jpg

do you think it would still be good if i doubled the grains to get a higher gravity? as long as i keep the ibu the same?

also....would a crushed beano instead of the Amylase Enzyme be ok?

do you think it would still be good if i doubled the grains to get a higher gravity? as long as i keep the ibu the same?

also....would a crushed beano instead of the Amylase Enzyme be ok?

No, the highest you want to go for the style is 1.040. If you doubled it be 1.060. Going higher kind of defeats the purpose. In a way you'd be making a malt liquor beer. I made this to be a lighter lower abv quafer. At 1.030 w/ the enzyme it still turns out to be about 4%.

I have never used beano, I would buy AE at your local brew shop. Its dirt cheap too. ~$2.00 for a bottle. This is worth at least 8-10 batches of beer if not more. Its also good for mashing. I'm not sure what the enzyme is in beano. Many have said its gotten too damn dry. To what extent I don't recall. I don't know anybody who has made good beer with beano.

You should try the recipe as is, many of my HB friends have said its pretty good for light beer. A nice beer to drink when its hot outside. The extra hops make it quite a bit better than the Miller Lt on the grociery store shelf.

Try it and tell me what you think.

Brought a keg of this to my HB club. They liked it... They commented that this is a good transition beer for the BMC crowd who is getting into brewing. Not to mention the average HB'r will like this beer.

ML with flav...:rockin:

MLC-SA_002.jpg

This is condensation - This beer is pristine in clarity.

Does anyone know a scource of amylase enzyme besides the one from the LBS ? AFAIK some people suppliment their diets with it - there must be an AE brand. Anyone know ?

im having a block party and im shure the neigbor cops would like some of this more then my barley wines or tripple ipa's i personaly love.

im having a block party and im shure the neigbor cops would like some of this more then my barley wines or tripple ipa's i personaly love.

Yah, they sure swill!!! :D

This beer is so much better than ML. My friends think I do myself a disservice by even giving credence to Miller for this beer. The grain bill is their idea as was the triple hopping. The difference is that I followed through with the triple hopping.

hey schlerenka, i tested the gravity of mine tonight, she's at 1.002. it's absolutely crystal clear also, i think the AE speeds up the clearing process, no need for a cold crash IMHO. it tasted pretty damn good in the tube, very clean, crisp, and dry with just a hint of fruitness from the ale yeast. i'm sure when it's cold and lagered for a few weeks, it will be even better. like i said, i used rice instead of corn, but i'm sure the difference in negligible. i'll post a pic of it when she's carbed up. thanks again for sharing this. although i own charlie's book, it was a hand me down and i never got around to reading it!

Awesome!! Looking forward to a picture and your tasting notes. Are you kegging or bottling?

What did you use for hops again? Saaz??

BTW - You are welcome! This hobby speaks volumes about sharing!

How would you compare this to something like Fischer Blond? I'm having trouble imagining Miller with flavor.

I have never had a Fischer, so I can't compare them!

This beer is light, dry, and balanced. The hop bitterness is ~18-20 IBU but has a good hop taste and aroma from late & dry hopping. For bitterness its neutral. Its very easy drinking but not void of character. All of which is from the hops. There is corn in this recipe but the taste of corn is none existent due to AE drying out the beer. Its very clean and crisp.

I have made this with just the German noble hops, all Cascade, all Soriachi Ace and a combo of Ace & Cascade. The latter is what I have on tap now. 1st two additions were Ace, the dry hopping with cascade.

I really like the Ace hop since it has a lemony taste which makes it a great summer beer. When made with the German hops think of a light beer with the full hop profile of older American beers of the 70s. That said, the freshness is what makes it so much better. Being light and low ABV you will drink it quick which is good since the dry hopping flavor will dissipate over the long term.

Come fall I will be making this beer with All Saaz. I believe Android used this in his beer.

My homebrew buddies told me this is a good home brewing gateway beer for the BMC crowd. Light enough and low in bitterness for those types but with hop character that home brewers would still appreciate.

Its very good session beer!

Man, I wish I would have seen this thread a couple of weeks ago. A keg of this would have been perfect for the party that I'm having next weekend!

Back