MI native sojourning in Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrid

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Good to see there are lots of fellow Michiganders on here. It makes me a little nostalgic, especially since I imagine Oberon is probably back in season now.

My wife scored a great deal on some lightly used equipment for me at Christmas. So I'm back at this brewing thing with a vengeance after a 3 year hiatus while moving around with the her Navy career.

Anyone else on here from O'ahu? We've got a decent (but hard to find) supply store here, so I know I'm not the only one brewin' on the 'Aina.

So far I've only done extract brewing and have been more than happy with my results. I'm sure I'll graduate to all grain sooner or later, as I'm a DIY'er to the core. I like the simple format of using extract, but I'm sure that perusing the info on here will start to tantalize my mind with the possibilities....

Welcome. I am here on Oahu myself until July of this year. (Navy myself) There are a couple of more guys around the island as well. It is definately difficult to find the LHBS, but they are OK for a malt-extract type shop.

Guys, I spent 6 years on Oahu, in fact, I learned to brew there.

If you are having a problem finding grain and stuff, try asking at some of the microbreweries. I know that Dave Campbell, over at Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch & Crab used to be a homebrewer. In fact, he used to own Oahu Homebrew. He also tought me to brew, along with the Late Scott Spicola, from Ali'i.

I wish I was back there, maybe more even, come this August, when it is 117 degrees, here.

steve

we have Hawaiian Style Homebrew. It's pretty decent, I just had a hell of a time finding it the first time; drove around in circles for like an hour. Finally had to stop and *gasp* ask for directions!

Welcome! Oberon is indeed back in season, I just picked up a case from the local Costco as a matter-of-fact. I think I could manage to give it up if I were in Hawaii though!

Welcome Jarrid, care to mention which part of MI you hail from? I grew up just south of Lansing till the Air Force made me live in DE. Now I live in VA cause SWMBO makes me, someday I'll make my own decisions.

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask questions. :mug:

I grew up near Kalamazoo, spent my early adulthood in Grand Rapids where I met my wife, and have been somewhat nomadic since then: 2 years in Monterey, CA and now Oahu for a few more years at least.

Most craft brews are god-awful expensive here because of shipping, but we have Kona Brewing and Mehana. Steinlager is the staple out here and it's not bad. But there's definitely incentive to brew if you want to keep up with your discerning taste in beer. I'm thinking about doing something Oberon-esque for the summer.

Latest posts

Back