MGD 64 All Grain Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longneck

Reaction score
Batch size: 5 gal

Grain Bill:
1 # barley
0.5# flaked maize

Hops:
-None required.

Mash grains at 150F for 60 min. During the rest drink 12 12oz. MGD 64's, followed by half gallon of water. Collect the metabolic wastes from the above and boil with wort for 60 min. Add water to 5 gal. Ferment.

Rofl, this is terrible.... terribilly accurate! Nice Liberty Cream Ale in the primary just like me! I updated mine today, I'd be impressed if yours is up to date too.

After a 5min crunch in Beersmith, the actual recipe could be
5.25 Gallons of Water
1.75# 2-Row
1# Flaked Maize
.5oz Saaz (3%)
Wyeast 2035

63 Calories
1.43% ABV (real one is like 2.7%)
7 IBU

If you mashed really low, you could possibly hit 2% ABV and 65 calories

While it is fun to rag on "lite" beer, check out Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale. A batch I did came in at 2.9% ABV and it had phenomenal body and taste.

While it is fun to rag on "lite" beer, check out Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale. A batch I did came in at 2.9% ABV and it had phenomenal body and taste.

Exactly. It's a shame that the Mild style has died out, there's no reason you need to drink something that tastes like piss just to get a low alcohol beer.

Funny how you guys who always rag on light beer know what piss tastes like.

Most people wouldn't know what piss tasted like.

According to you guys piss must taste like what most people call beer.

I'll just take your word for it though.

I'm going to be brewing a 2.2% abv, 110 calorie per serving Belgian Tafelbier soon.

Low abv beers certainly have their place. I don't care much for MGD64, but apparently some do. To each their own.

I accidentally brewed a <3.0% pale ale once (one of my early batches, topped off way too much) and the taste was actually pretty nice.

This thread started as a joke but is now evolving into a pseudo serious discussion. As far as making a light beer. Could one not make a high gravity wort and dilute until the desired OG is reached. Dry hopping could be done to compensate for hop dilution. Just a thought.

Back