Methanol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magickbottle

Reaction score
someone has convinced me that contaminats that get in your wine create methanol?

so now im worried? should i be?

i thought this was onyl a problem for distilling.

Short answer: NO

There is going to be a super small amount of methanol in anything that is fermented. It is in such small quantities that you will never notice...even if you ended up with a 10 fold in methanol.

No problems with fermentation of wine, mead or beer.
The only reason it is a problem with distilling is that methanol vaporises first. The first liquid out of your still will have a higher concentration of methanol. If you have a very large batch you are distilling then you can get enough methanol concentrated in the first few pints of distillate to cause a problem. Otherwise you are just dealing with old wives tales.
The problem with prohibition era beverages is that many unscrupulous manufacturers added nasty things to their beverages to cut costs or increase the intoxicating effects. The basic processes are quite safe.

Craig

First question for "them": What contaminants are you talking about?

They won't have a clue.

Back