Metallic taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbstl68

Reaction score
So my 2nd ever (all pear)cider batch again has, to my untrained tongue, a somewhat metallic taste.
What could be causing that?

Obviously it comes into contact with metal via my cast iron fruit press, but not so long I'd imagine as to pick up such a taste as the juice flows through right into a bucket pretty quickly when pressed,
It was pressed and fermented a few months back (November) and has been in food grade pail \ carboy the whole time.

So, if not that, what else could cause a metallic taste and more important how can I get rid of or offset the taste?

(I mentioned this as a side note in another thread but thought I'd post separately to get some visibility.)

Thanks,
Nick

If it tastes like cast iron its cast iron. All of your pears are setting in that metal as they are pressed, its not how long a little bit of juice that drizzles out is in contact is how long all of it is in contact. You may be able to grease your press up so it doesnt have actual metal to fruit contact. Your bucket is not metal right? No metal funnels? Not to much nutrient added? WVMJ

Has low contact time?

How long is your juicing process from beginning to end? During that whole time the iron has that acidic juice running over it...not to mention that its being pressed into it.

I had this problem with my first batch. I was using a vintage cider press with a cast iron base. The second time i made cider, i laid a clean garbage bag (anything clean and plastic will do. also could cut some wood to fit) over the cast iron base, and i didn't have that issue.

My first batch also turned kind of green. I don't know if that had to do with the metallic taste, but my second batch didn't turn green and also didn't taste like metal.

conrad

Back