Mesh basket for MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Sinclair

Reaction score
Looking for a mesh basket for inside my MLT to make cleanup a bit easier. Like BIAB, but with the basket instead of a bag. Ideally, the diameter would be 15 inches, the height would be 17 inches, and have 2 1/2 inch legs or lift of some sort to keep it above the pickup tube. I've been googling like crazy, but just can't seem to find something close to this. Anyone out there know where I might find something like this? Thanx in advance.

Looking for a mesh basket for inside my MLT to make cleanup a bit easier. Like BIAB, but with the basket instead of a bag. Ideally, the diameter would be 15 inches, the height would be 17 inches, and have 2 1/2 inch legs or lift of some sort to keep it above the pickup tube. I've been googling like crazy, but just can't seem to find something close to this. Anyone out there know where I might find something like this? Thanx in advance.
Check out arborfab.com

google "10 gallon cold brew coffee stainless basket" got something close before....had to remind myself 'cold brew'....

Also try Utah Biodiesel Supply. They fabricated a stainless steel mesh basket with feet for my use. Check out their bargain page too as they can modify those for what you want. Great people to deal with!

If it’s $187 just for the basket you might as well just buy one of the all-in-one systems like an Anvil Foundry.

That's not really apples to apples. It's like saying if an engine for a Corvette is $19,000, you might as well buy a new Kia Soul instead.

Last edited:
Looking for a mesh basket for inside my MLT to make cleanup a bit easier.
Would it really be any easier? You still need to clean the basket, with bits of grain and husk stuck in the mesh.

More importantly let's look how it will change your mash system. Are you recirculating the mash? Are you fly sparging?
If so, the mesh on the basket's side won't work in your favor, as it offers a shortcut for the wort to get out without going through the whole column of grist.

Check out arborfab.com
Two thumbs up for Arborfab and Utah Biodiesel Supply; I have baskets from both. The suggested coffee baskets are ok but have downsides to consider: 200 micron mesh size, and the stand-off height from bottom of kettle (1.75”..?). Given cost of coffee basket I’d definitely recommend a custom from Arbor Fab or UBS where you can specify your mesh size, height and diameter, stand-off height. I’d also think about size that would work if you decide to go electric 😁

Unless someone has them in stock and you just can’t wait for custom, paying any difference in price would be minimal in long run. Quality of the customs are top-notch.

”Personally” I find basket easier to clean than bag. I place mine on top of 5 gal bucket while mashing and allow it to drain. Once drained, I flip it over on top of bucket, let grain drop out, then lay basket upside down on driveway and spray it with hose. Simple method for me.

As mentioned by IslandLizard the basket is really just a substitute for BIAB bag per his comments.

Cheers 🍻

After looking at all of those products, and taking into consideration IslandLizard's statement regarding recirculation, I really want to splurge for the Spike Solo basket, but the dimensions listed won't fit my MLT perfectly. Either I'd go with the 15 gallon model, which would set nicely on the rim of my MLT, but would be short of reaching the bottom by nearly 4.5 inches, or I go with the 20 gallon model, which would sit up from the rim of the MLT by about an inch (possibly unstable), but be about the right depth. I've been searching around for any other products like the Spike Solo basket, but there doesn't appear to be any. Wonder what would be the cost of having a custom basket made to be similar to the Solo? Thoughts? Cheers!

After looking at all of those products, and taking into consideration IslandLizard's statement regarding recirculation, I really want to splurge for the Spike Solo basket, but the dimensions listed won't fit my MLT perfectly. Either I'd go with the 15 gallon model, which would set nicely on the rim of my MLT, but would be short of reaching the bottom by nearly 4.5 inches, or I go with the 20 gallon model, which would sit up from the rim of the MLT by about an inch (possibly unstable), but be about the right depth. I've been searching around for any other products like the Spike Solo basket, but there doesn't appear to be any. Wonder what would be the cost of having a custom basket made to be similar to the Solo? Thoughts? Cheers!
Check out my link above for custom basket. For a 10 gal kettle mine was approximately $200 but they may have gone up.

Check out my link above for custom basket. For a 10 gal kettle mine was approximately $200 but they may have gone up.
The one I ordered from Utah is very similar, 13" diameter with 8" sides. It was in their bargain bin but new condition. I had extra supports added and a bail handle. It cost about$160, a couple years back. It sits in a modified quarter barrel keg with the top cut off and a drain on the bottom. I use it as a filter from the mash tun to the boil kettle then also from the boil kettle to the wort chiller. Besides being a good filter, it also acts as an accumulator with the pump. The basket is 300 mesh, and it cleans up easy enough spraying it down after dumping out the junk. In the summer it's alot easier as I can haul everything outside and spray it off in the grass.

So, after reviewing all the available products from the sites posted here, I'm definitely going with the Spike Solo Basket as I can get the 15 gallon model for $275, whereas the least expensive comparable option was over $400. Thanx again for all the recommendations/suggestions!

Back