Mega 1.2 or SS Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acommonsoul

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a 15 gallons Brew Kettle and cannot decide which brand I should go with. I'm between the Mega pot 1.2 and the SS brew kettle. They both look like they are built solid. I'm leaning towards the SS due to the true damn on the dip tube but does that really help? Anyone that has either product or, even better, has used both products I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Just a thought, but you might also consider the new spike brewing kettles. They look nicer than either of those option, which are still nice kettles btw... Just a thought.

I'm looking into purchasing a 15 gallons Brew Kettle and cannot decide which brand I should go with. I'm between the Mega pot 1.2 and the SS brew kettle. They both look like they are built solid. I'm leaning towards the SS due to the true damn on the dip tube but does that really help? Anyone that has either product or, even better, has used both products I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Mega Pot 1.2 is a good pot. I've not used others but have no problems with it. Solid piece of kit.

Here is my pot pimped out a little.

I love my SSBrew but know a guy with the MegaPot. I think they are really similar, but because I have the SSBrew I'd recommend that one. The trub dam works pretty well and IIRC the MegaPot doesn't come with a diptube.

the MegaPot doesn't come with a diptube.

That is correct

It can come as just a pot or you can add a valve and thermometer or get the holes drilled. Options might be different now than when I got mine.

If I was buying again I think I would go with spikebrewing. They have a coll fully customizable build on their website. caters for a big range of brewers.

Thanks

This came up in another thread recently and if I remember right I'm pretty sure they are the same kettles (same manufacturer in china) just different distributors.... just choose what features and price works best for you... Theres also a third brand that is the same only without the coated handles which are pointless if you brew with electric. I think northern brewer sells them as the "Tall boy"

spikes kettles (at least the newest versions) are a different manufacturer from the looks of it.

Looking at Spikes would it matter that they are welded pots? I have always heard that weld-less pots are better? Is this true?

I've got a 20 gal SS brewtech kettle and I am very happy with it (their customer service is great too). The trub dam looks gimicky but it does work surprisingly well. I had originally ordered a 20 megapot 1.2 but the kettle was actually not completely circular, the vertical seam on the kettle was really poor.

Looking at Spikes would it matter that they are welded pots? I have always heard that weld-less pots are better? Is this true?

Not even close. I have a spike brewing kettle with welded couplings and tri clamp fitting. The quality could not be better, and they have a 0 chance or leaking.

It's a matter of personal preference/opinion. A well designed weld less and a welded fitting are (on a homebrew scale) equal.

I just got a SS Brewtech pot and I love it! Well, to be clear, I love the looks of it sitting underneath the christmas tree. T-minus 4 days until I can use it...

I have both. The 15 gallon Mega pot was my starter then I needed a larger kettle so I bought an SS Tech 20 gallon. Both are solid good pieces of equipment, but if I could only choose one, it would be the SS Technologies. I like the trub dam/drain tube and the features of the SS a little better.

It's a matter of personal preference/opinion. A well designed weld less and a welded fitting are (on a homebrew scale) equal.

I don't understand why you'd want a weldless setup with washers/orings to leak or melt instead of a welded setup, where you don't rely on orings to keep your pot from leaking.

I don't understand why you'd want a weldless setup with washers/orings to leak or melt instead of a welded setup, where you don't rely on orings to keep your pot from leaking.

My thought process as well. Different strokes for different folks, obviously - but I spent some time checking out Spike, Blichmann, SS and Megapot. I'm lucky enough to have our LHBS carry some decent examples. I ended up going with Spike.

That thing is seriously built like the Chuck Norris of pots! I do like the Trub Dam in the SS, though! The Spike pickup tube has a huge I.D. that should make it drain like a monster. Trade-offs, everywhere, I suppose.

In a commoditized market I look to Customer Experience to be the defining factor. Spike's was SUPER responsive to my questions, etc even during the holidays. That sold me (not to say that others wouldn't be).

I would be happy with any of the choices but I chose what features were most important to me.

Thanks for all of the responses. They have opened my eyes to the differences between weldless and welded valves. So far I'm now leaning towards Spikes... Keep the info coming

Those o rings are good out past 300 f. I've done a couple hundred gallons now in my blichmann pots with the weldless fittings haven't had a leak yet. I wouldn't be scared of weldless at all.

Not going to start a flame war, but I hate seeing this type of miss information out here. If you are melting o-rings you are either firing your kettle without water or wort in it, our you have your flame way too high. I would be far more concerned with melting the deals in a ball valve at this point.

As far as leaking, I have been brewing with weldless fittings for 10+ years with no issues of leaking. The only thing is to have a properly designed weldless fitting.

If you want to get into exposing negatives, a problem with welded fittings is if you get galling, then your fitting is toast, or what if you strip or cross thread it? Most people also fail to mention that most homebrew npt fittings are sealed by Teflon tape.

IMHO the only true foolproof fittings would be welded tri-clovers like the pros use, but those cost $$

Again, welded or weldless, your choice, they are both suitable and reliable methods for putting fittings on kettles.

For the record I use weldless, mainly due to market availability of welded fittings just now hitting their stride. I also think spikes new kettles look great, and if I had to do it again, his new kettles would be on the top of my list. I brew with blichmann kettles as I got great deals on them, and they have a great false bottom only equaled by spike.

Last edited:
Back