Medals in my first BJCP Comp!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

303Dan

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been brewing for a while, but never really had the desire to enter any competitions until fairly recently. I entered 3 beers into a local BJCP sanctioned event and was really pleasantly surprised with the results!

I ended up getting 1st Place in the American Pale Ale category and 2nd Place in the American IPA category. Didn't place in the Best of Show or win any of the ProAms, which would have been really cool.

Reading the comments from the judges was probably my favorite part, I really love getting that kind of experienced feedback. I was surprised that the scoring, at least for my beers, were so consistent across individual judges.

Anyway, I was really glad to get the positive reinforcement that I'm making some quality beer.

Okay, end of shameless self-promotion. :) I'm just feeling good.

Dan

Hey Everyone,

I've been brewing for a while, but never really had the desire to enter any competitions until fairly recently. I entered 3 beers into a local BJCP sanctioned event and was really pleasantly surprised with the results!

I ended up getting 1st Place in the American Pale Ale category and 2nd Place in the American IPA category. Didn't place in the Best of Show or win any of the ProAms, which would have been really cool.

Reading the comments from the judges was probably my favorite part, I really love getting that kind of experienced feedback. I was surprised that the scoring, at least for my beers, were so consistent across individual judges.

Anyway, I was really glad to get the positive reinforcement that I'm making some quality beer.

Okay, end of shameless self-promotion. :) I'm just feeling good.

Dan

Congratulations. Fantastic result.

Congrats, those categories are typically pretty crowded, so that much more confirmation you're making some good beers.

Yeah, I definitely took a little extra satisfaction in that. Surprisingly, in this competition, Porter was the most crowded category, but I'm pretty sure APA and American IPA were right below that.

Like Microbus said, those are not easy categories to be a part of and place. I have only entered one competition and had a porter (2nd) and a helles (3rd) place. But I think there were only 26 and 16 entries per category respectively. At the same time the IPA category had something around 50 entries.

Nice job! What were the general specs of your recipes?

Well you've got me thinking that I will try to enter as many competitions as possible in this year. Shooting for 6 at least with 3-4 beers to each.

Just curious, for these competitions, what is the prize (if any)? Besides a medal. I know it must be awesome to know you have an awesome beer and that alone is good, but I wonder if there's more is all.

That is awesome and I agree, for those categories, you seemed to have done very well.

Yeah, I definitely took a little extra satisfaction in that. Surprisingly, in this competition, Porter was the most crowded category, but I'm pretty sure APA and American IPA were right below that.

Way to kick ass............

Just curious, for these competitions, what is the prize (if any)? Besides a medal. I know it must be awesome to know you have an awesome beer and that alone is good, but I wonder if there's more is all.
Depends on the comp. Sometimes it's a medal, sometimes a ribbon. Sometimes sponsors kick in some swag. Some have really nice prizes but the really good prizes tend to be limited to Best of Show winners. If it's AHA sanctioned comp, and you take gold in any category, there's a chance you could get selected to do a pro-am with a commercial brewery.

Depends on the comp. Sometimes it's a medal, sometimes a ribbon. Sometimes sponsors kick in some swag. Some have really nice prizes but the really good prizes tend to be limited to Best of Show winners. If it's AHA sanctioned comp, and you take gold in any category, there's a chance you could get selected to do a pro-am with a commercial brewery.

Yeah, this one was AHA sanctioned and there were 5 or 6 breweries doing pro-ams. Unfortunately, neither of my beers that medaled got selected for one of those. As for prizes, I got a couple of engraved tap handles made out of wine barrel staves. Pretty cool, actually! Oh, and they threw in some small containers of StarSan, PBW, etc.

Back