Measuring Liquid Extract for 1 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyBrewDoug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just moved to NYC and not surprisingly, had to downsize my brewing setup. While getting used to my new digs, I've decided to go back to 1 gallon extract batches. I'd like to use MO liquid malt, but I definitely don't need to use the full 3.5 lbs of it for one batch.

Anyone have any experience accurately measuring out LME?

Thanks for the help!

Does it have to be LME? I always advocate DME vs LME. Better flavor and easier to weigh and store plus longer shelf life if stored properly. If you have a small kitchen scale you could always weigh out several separate small containers at a few ounces a piece. If you have a small package scale you should be able to use that with lb increments. Another positive to dme vs lme is that you can usually buy by the lb or if ordering online have several options like 1, 3,4, 5, 10lb bags for example.

If all else fails you can eyeball it. If a single can is 3.5 lb to it's fill point you could measure that height and divide to get a rough idea of the .5lb increment marks on the can. It's not perfectly exact but if you are doing 1 gal stove top LME batches then I assume 100% accuracy isn't a huge concern.

Last edited:
While getting used to my new digs, I've decided to go back to 1 gallon extract batches. I'd like to use MO liquid malt, but I definitely don't need to use the full 3.5 lbs of it for one batch. Anyone have any experience accurately measuring out LME?

DME does have some plus-points, as stated; but, that stuff flies everywhere with one little mistake--POOF and it's airborne.
I haven't had any negatives with LME, flavor-wise, based on brewing with it. Scraping it out of the container? Well, that's always a pleasure.
You shouldn't have any problem scaling down a recipe and measuring, if that's what you're asking.
You'll be able to make a couple gallons at a time? Not much space used for that, right?
Good luck with your beer.

I should have added, I lived for 3 years in a small 600+/- sq ft apartment when I first moved to FL that had a very small electric oven with top burners. I was forced to brew nothing more then 1 gal batches as this stove had trouble keeping even 2 gal at a rolling boil. With that being said, I actually did all grain full volume mashes with no extract BIAB style. All I used was a 1.75 gal stainless kettle I got at walmart for about $12, a large stainless spoon that cost about $2, and a 1 gal nylon paint strainer bag that I got at home depot for about $1. I would push the bag in the kettle, add my full volume of preboil water, heat to my mash temp, add the grains, complete the timed mash rest with occasional stirring and temp checks, pull the bag out to drain, then crank the burner and start my boil timer + hop additions once it was consistently rolling. When everything was done I would chill in an ice bath in the sink and slowly dump into a sanitized jug and pitch 1/2 pack of dry yeast. I do a 1 gal all grain batch from set up to cleaned up in less then 4 hours with 1 pot, 1 burner, and the sink. No propane, no flames, no standing outside, no hose and immersion chiller. Easiest brew days I've ever had and consistently pumped out quality beer. Actually, beers I produced with that same system and process landed me a Head Brewer job and lead to what became the 3 core brands I produce and distribute at the brewery I run today.

Does it have to be LME? I always advocate DME vs LME. Better flavor and easier to weigh and store plus longer shelf life if stored properly. If you have a small kitchen scale you could always weigh out several separate small containers at a few ounces a piece. If you have a small package scale you should be able to use that with lb increments. Another positive to dme vs lme is that you can usually buy by the lb or if ordering online have several options like 1, 3,4, 5, 10lb bags for example.

If all else fails you can eyeball it. If a single can is 3.5 lb to it's fill point you could measure that height and divide to get a rough idea of the .5lb increment marks on the can. It's not perfectly exact but if you are doing 1 gal stove top LME batches then I assume 100% accuracy isn't a huge concern.

I would love to do all DME batches, but I haven’t been able to find Maris Otter DME. I’ll try portioning it out by .5lb lines and see what I get for OG. Nothing wrong with a couple experiments, right?

I should have added, I lived for 3 years in a small 600+/- sq ft apartment when I first moved to FL that had a very small electric oven with top burners. I was forced to brew nothing more then 1 gal batches as this stove had trouble keeping even 2 gal at a rolling boil. With that being said, I actually did all grain full volume mashes with no extract BIAB style. All I used was a 1.75 gal stainless kettle I got at walmart for about $12, a large stainless spoon that cost about $2, and a 1 gal nylon paint strainer bag that I got at home depot for about $1. I would push the bag in the kettle, add my full volume of preboil water, heat to my mash temp, add the grains, complete the timed mash rest with occasional stirring and temp checks, pull the bag out to drain, then crank the burner and start my boil timer + hop additions once it was consistently rolling. When everything was done I would chill in an ice bath in the sink and slowly dump into a sanitized jug and pitch 1/2 pack of dry yeast. I do a 1 gal all grain batch from set up to cleaned up in less then 4 hours with 1 pot, 1 burner, and the sink. No propane, no flames, no standing outside, no hose and immersion chiller. Easiest brew days I've ever had and consistently pumped out quality beer. Actually, beers I produced with that same system and process landed me a Head Brewer job and lead to what became the 3 core brands I produce and distribute at the brewery I run today.

What was your average grain bill in weight? I’m guessing that the specialty malts have to be cut back quite a bit at that scale.

What was your average grain bill in weight? I’m guessing that the specialty malts have to be cut back quite a bit at that scale.

I will admit that my first couple brews following that method resulted in slightly lower preboil grav then expected, which is common of full volume mash BIAB brewing. I also will admit that following this method I had to keep my OG sub 1.070 in order to fit everything. One thing I started doing was reducing my mash volume by 1qt and heating that quart to around 170f and using it to "rinse" the grain bag after it drained out to mimic a sparge. I didn't have to do this all the time nor did I find it increased my efficiency any however it did allow me to push my OG potential while also giving the grains more room in the kettle resulting in better color extraction. After experimenting a few times I found I only need to do my "pseudo-sparge" method with very dark beers and/or beers of higher gravity. It usually wasn't a problem for me because I have a preference for lower gravity beers anyway. As far as specialties and their total percentage in the grain bill, yes I did have to reduce them slightly however it also really opened my eyes to how little specialty grain you actually need for color and flavor contribution. Even my imperial oatmeal stout recipe uses less then 15% of the total bill for specialties and it's got plenty of color, body, and flavor. When thinking like a homebrewer you will throw absurd amounts of specialties into your recipe to guarantee color and flavor because it only costs a few more cents to add an extra ounce or two. Well since I brewed professionally before I ever homebrewed I find myself thinking like a cost-minded business person which means you want the most result for the least dollar. That mentality, combined with the great opportunity of having free roam of commercial equipment, has shown me time and time again that you can drastically cut your specialty grains down and achieve the same result. A good example is the oatmeal stout I mentioned above:The early versions of that beer consisted of around 30% specialty grains which lead to poor attenuation. Through trial an error I was able to reduce the specialties to less then 15% without having any noticeable impact on color, flavor, or body. This in turn lead to much higher attenuation which then allowed me to reduce the base malt used as well. When everything was all said and done I was able to produce a beer that looked, tasted, smelled, and stored (shelf life) exactly the same as the "test" batches but at a dramatic decrease in raw ingredients which is the difference between making money or not on the pro side and fitting everything in your kettle on the homebrew side.

I watched a food network show awhile back about the worst cooks in america becoming the best cooks in america. The one host kept shouting the entire time, "think like a cook people! Time management, pacing, maximum ingredient efficiency and usage! Think like a cook!" With that being said... think like a pro brewer, even if you are not one.

Edit* My long winded response didn't answer your first quesiton lol, sorry. I don't have my small recipe book with me to check but off hand I would say I averaged around 1.75-2lbs total per batch, less of course a specialty heavy beer like an oatmeal stout. This process has caused me to ditch sparging entirely on the commercial side in favor of full volume no sparge mashing and I consistently hit 80-85% brewhouse efficiency and consistently exceed 90% attenuation.

I will admit that my first couple brews following that method resulted in slightly lower preboil grav then expected, which is common of full volume mash BIAB brewing. I also will admit that following this method I had to keep my OG sub 1.070 in order to fit everything. One thing I started doing was reducing my mash volume by 1qt and heating that quart to around 170f and using it to "rinse" the grain bag after it drained out to mimic a sparge. I didn't have to do this all the time nor did I find it increased my efficiency any however it did allow me to push my OG potential while also giving the grains more room in the kettle resulting in better color extraction. After experimenting a few times I found I only need to do my "pseudo-sparge" method with very dark beers and/or beers of higher gravity. It usually wasn't a problem for me because I have a preference for lower gravity beers anyway. As far as specialties and their total percentage in the grain bill, yes I did have to reduce them slightly however it also really opened my eyes to how little specialty grain you actually need for color and flavor contribution. Even my imperial oatmeal stout recipe uses less then 15% of the total bill for specialties and it's got plenty of color, body, and flavor. When thinking like a homebrewer you will throw absurd amounts of specialties into your recipe to guarantee color and flavor because it only costs a few more cents to add an extra ounce or two. Well since I brewed professionally before I ever homebrewed I find myself thinking like a cost-minded business person which means you want the most result for the least dollar. That mentality, combined with the great opportunity of having free roam of commercial equipment, has shown me time and time again that you can drastically cut your specialty grains down and achieve the same result. A good example is the oatmeal stout I mentioned above:The early versions of that beer consisted of around 30% specialty grains which lead to poor attenuation. Through trial an error I was able to reduce the specialties to less then 15% without having any noticeable impact on color, flavor, or body. This in turn lead to much higher attenuation which then allowed me to reduce the base malt used as well. When everything was all said and done I was able to produce a beer that looked, tasted, smelled, and stored (shelf life) exactly the same as the "test" batches but at a dramatic decrease in raw ingredients which is the difference between making money or not on the pro side and fitting everything in your kettle on the homebrew side.

I watched a food network show awhile back about the worst cooks in america becoming the best cooks in america. The one host kept shouting the entire time, "think like a cook people! Time management, pacing, maximum ingredient efficiency and usage! Think like a cook!" With that being said... think like a pro brewer, even if you are not one.

Edit* My long winded response didn't answer your first quesiton lol, sorry. I don't have my small recipe book with me to check but off hand I would say I averaged around 1.75-2lbs total per batch, less of course a specialty heavy beer like an oatmeal stout. This process has caused me to ditch sparging entirely on the commercial side in favor of full volume no sparge mashing and I consistently hit 80-85% brewhouse efficiency and consistently exceed 90% attenuation.

Thanks for all of this. It’s definitely a lot to think about, but that’s a good thing!

Back