Mead starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerobrew

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at mead. I made a 1L starter with SG 1.04 using honey and water. Cooled added yeast nutrient and white labs mead yeast. This was left on a stir plate for 48 hours and then put in the fridge for a couple days since I was out of town. When I went to decant it appears there is very little yeast probably not much more than in the original vial. I have a pack of dry yeast also, was wondering if I should pitch both, try another starter, or just use the dry yeast. Just don't wan to mess up the first batch.

I'd say your yeast went dormant when you refrigerated your starter. I'm new to brewing myself so, not sure how to proceed. I would pitch a dry yeast (properly rehydrated).

What strain is your dry yeast? I usually stay away from yeast strains with the word "mead" in the name. I just have better results with other wine yeast or the occasional ale yeast. So if you have a good dry yeast then I say just rehydrate it and make a simple little 2-4 cup starter and after a few hours pitch that.

I have the dry yeast from the midwest sweet mead kit. I will give that a try I would assume that 2 days on a stir plate would have given me a good starter before putting it in the fridge. Will be starting the mead tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Back