Mayday s.o.s. Mayday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvasek

Reaction score
This last weekend I brewed a Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout clone. I brewed it according to the recipe, but I didn't have enough strike/sparge water or a combination of the 2, so my final volume was low. So the idiot I am (after a few, ok quite a few, home brews) I topped up with water and way under shot my oh. The of was supposed to be 1.050-1.051 but it ended up being a 1.033. I'm guessing that's what caused my the lag in starting to ferment. I am nervous that that low the beer won't turn out right! What should I do to get my gravity where it should be (dme/lme, and hope much if any).

Thanks for help in advance and brew on!!

Next time take post boil gravity and calculate what is gonna happen when you dilute.

I suggest taking a look at your grain crush, being too coarse, giving you poor mash efficiency. If so, get it milled twice or better yet, get the gap tightened. Or use more grain to compensate <ugh>.

Undershooting gravity this much is usually not just due to a bit lower strike or sparge volume. As a matter of fact, lower volumes tend to give higher gravity, as the amount of extracted sugars should remain the same but in a smaller volume.

For this batch I'd let it be: a very sessionable Oatmeal Stout.

Back