Maybe a strange question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aedan382

Reaction score
As anyone ever done a Brett addition in secondary of an American IPA? How would I go about trying to make a sour IPA? Could I add a Brett yeast to an AIPA when I rack it to secondary? Would this be a disaster?

It's not going to sour it at all. At most it will lower the gravity a bit more, reduce some of the body and add some bretty characteristics if aged for many months, but by then alot of the hop aroma is diminished. Historical IPAs likely had brett in them from the barrels.

Also, it's typically thought that bitterness and sourness can clash, so if you do sour with something else keep that in mind.

Ah, well I would rather not waste the effort then heh.

Thanks. I'm rather new to brewing, experience wise, with 12 batches AG under my belt. I want to try a sour, and as I think most people who want that, I am unsure of how to go about it.

I'll have to do some more research (read: search this site more, bazinga!) and find some sour recipes I want to fiddle with.

Although sourness and bitterness clash I have heard good results of people making sour ales and then dry hopping them right before bottling. Check out www.themadfermentationist.com I know he has done this quite a few times with good results.

^ Yeah, good point not to confound bitterness with hoppiness. Dry hopped sours can work well.

As anyone ever done a Brett addition in secondary of an American IPA? How would I go about trying to make a sour IPA? Could I add a Brett yeast to an AIPA when I rack it to secondary? Would this be a disaster?

i haven't done it with an american IPA, but it worked well in a belgian IPA. I've done a sour 'IPA' too, but with just nelson sauvin the final 5 mins & dry hopped, one of the best beers ive ever made

you could always try 100% brett instead, it doesn't take much longer than a normal IPA but you won't get the normal funky brett character, its cleaner/fruitier

At most it will lower the gravity a bit more, reduce some of the body and add some bretty characteristics if aged for many months, but by then alot of the hop aroma is diminished.

among others, wild devil & anchorage galaxy would disagree. brett only takes a few months, and you can easily dry hop at the end of that period to retain lost hop aroma.

Yeah, I've made some enjoyable hoppy beers with brett and enjoyed them just as much a few months later. It just might not be close to the "AIPA" the OP was going for. I second the suggestion to try a 100% brett IPA.

Make a sour and dry hop it. Don't make it bitter though.

The best beer I ever made was a nelson sauvin dry hopped berliner weisse

The best beer I ever made was a nelson sauvin dry hopped berliner weisse

Tell me more. I have a Berliner ready to bottle, and a bunch of Nelson looking for something to go in.

I've got a pound of Nelson, but have never tried them before so I'm trying to figure out what the best use of them is. I could toss in a couple of ounces if it really makes a difference.

Tell me more. I have a Berliner ready to bottle, and a bunch of Nelson looking for something to go in.

I've got a pound of Nelson, but have never tried them before so I'm trying to figure out what the best use of them is. I could toss in a couple of ounces if it really makes a difference.
simply dry hop with nelson (i used 2 ounces) for a huge fruity aroma and flavor. Dry hopping with good, fruity hop variety is a great way to save money instead of buying fruit. Less hassle too. I think I might do Motueka/Rakau dry hop on my next berliner and then use the 5 lbs of peaches i have in the freezer on the one after that.

God, I love Berliners. So many fun things to do with them.

I've also had a few great IPAs that have used Nelson. They're amazing hops for aroma and dry hopping. I wish I had a pound myself.

Latest posts

Back