Mashed too low.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyanmonkey

Reaction score
Aiming for 150, I ended up with 148 and was unsuccessful in raising it. How screwed is my brew? I know it'll make beer, but wondering if it's going to be ultra dry, or something.

2F could be noticeable depending on your palate (don't think I could myself without something right there to compare to) but 148F is fine as long as you don't wind up with a drop of 10F or anything drastic. RDWHAHB and make sure to take note of it for this brew in your logs.

It's a coffee stout. Pretty dry style-wise, but I'm concerned about not having enough body.

Without knowing your recipe, I would still bet there are inherently enough unfermentable sugars in your adjunct/flavor grains to compensate for your lower mash temp to some degree. It may turn out a little on the dry side, but I still think you will end up with enough body and something quite tasty. A dry stout is not really a bad thing IMHO - especially with coffee.

Yeah I'm not too worried about it. It's suppose to be dry, I've just never mashed that low. It's a good lesson on making sure I have hot water on hand just in case.

Back