Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian57

Reaction score
After Christmas I intend to start the change from extract to all grain brewing. As regards to a mash tun,I have seen several videos where a !0 gallon Rubber maid drinks cooler is used to good effect.
My question is do you really need to get a rubber maid? Or will a cheaper alternative work just as good?

You dont need a rubbermaid. I use a Coleman 70 quart xtreme cooler (I paid the extra for the better insulation, whether it actually does anything is tbd but I like it). Just about any cooler will work fine, I just like the rectangular ones for the sake of making an easy to use/build sparge arm. Also, I liked the "sump-lined drain" so I have virtually no dead space

For making wort a cylindrical cooler is superior to a rectangular cooler because you can get a thicker grain bed with a cylindrical cooler but both will work fine (cylindrical cooler also takes up more space) . If you are going to buy one get a cylindrical cooler at 10 to 15 gal. So that you have enough room for high gravity beers. You can buy the false bottoms and spigots from a number of locations on the wen from Amazon to Northern brewer. Have fun!

Igloo, Rubbermaid.... or a rectangular cooler. It makes little difference. If you want to use a false bottom, most are made for the round coolers. Size one to the volume you want to brew and you are good to go. There are tons of Youtube videos on making mash tuns. I opted for the Rubbermaid water cooler, 10 gallon. It has worked very well for me.

Just to keep it interesting, I also use a bazooka screen instead of a false bottom. Never used a false bottom so I can't speak to its benefits or downfalls but I really like my bazooka screen

I recently upgraded to a 10-gal Igloo from Lowes for $50, then a conversion kit from NB for $25 (Brass) and a low quality bazooka screen off Amazon. I am intrigued by the idea of making it bottom drain though, on my last batch I noticed a decent amount of wort left behind, and that's just wasted beer.

I am looking to do the same thing and have been researching models over the last couple of days. There are some specific 5 gallon coolers that have a warning that they aren't to be used with hot liquids. I can't recall specifically which model it was, but it wasn't one of the common Igloo and Rubbermaid models.

Do a search for mash tun coolers and see what others have done. I use a Coleman Extreme 52qt ($25) with a cpvc manifold ($7 in parts and some handywork) and a stainless bulkhead (~$15). I like the space it gives me, very easy to stir, and I can do 11 gallon batches (13-14 gallon boils) easily.

Some people have a rubber maid, others swear by a rubbermaid, but most of us use something different. :D

That manifold is shown upside down of course.

CPVC Manifold_1200.jpg

I recently upgraded to a 10-gal Igloo from Lowes for $50, then a conversion kit from NB for $25 (Brass) and a low quality bazooka screen off Amazon. I am intrigued by the idea of making it bottom drain though, on my last batch I noticed a decent amount of wort left behind, and that's just wasted beer.

I have the equivalent cooler (Rubbermaid) and the same valve kit from NB. I used a 3/4 inch water heater braid.

Tip the cooler toward the valve. You will not leave much, maybe a cup or two. I have a couple of pieces of packaging foam that are about as thick as a 2x4 I stack them and put them under the cooler edge, opposite the valve, while it is draining.

Thanks for all your replies.
However it has thrown up the question as to whether to use an oblong cooler or cylindrical in regards to mash thickness.
I did not realize this was an issue.

If you are going to use a Bazooka screen go rectangular, the Coleman Extreme I use is nice because it has a little sump in the bottom so it completely drains. False bottom I would go cylindrical for the ease of purchasing the bottom. I have also built a manifold for my rectangular but haven't noticed any increase in efficiency but find it easier to stir the mash without worrying about the mesh screen moving all over. If you batch sparge, go simple rectangular and a Bazooka. Fly sparging I recommend the round with a false bottom. Of course these are only my thoughts and ymmv.

Thanks for all your replies.
However it has thrown up the question as to whether to use an oblong cooler or cylindrical in regards to mash thickness.
I did not realize this was an issue.

This is what I built a few months ago:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f257/60qt-ice-cube-mash-tun-build-cheap-simple-144475/

Best of both worlds, you get the larger capacity at 15 gallons plus it has a small footprint area to height ratio because of its cube shape rather than rectangular shape. The whole thing cost me around 40 to 50 bucks, including the cooler, valve, CPVC manifold and all.

Agree..get a big enough tun to brew a 10 gallon batch. Right now you think you'll "never need it", but trust me...you'll be looking at 10 gallon brews in a year.

Brew in a bag with a massive grain bag that can hold 20+ gallons of grain. $6 mashtun and you're brewing all grain.

I got an Igloo MaxCool beverage cooler from Dick's Sporting Goods on sale during the winter. I think it was $20. Finding a 5/8 stainless steel fender washer for the inside of it was the hard part. I had to buy a pack of 10 from a contractor supply shop.

Edit: to add to the what size debate I'd go bigger. I have a 6 gallon, I think, and when I want to do high gravity beers it's a pain to do a full volume batch. I usually have to do 3-4 gallon size batches and the efficiency is hit and miss. I just built it a year ago and I'm not ready to upgrade yet but I will at some point. Just get a 10 gallon cooler.

+1 on 10 gallon cooler

Its not like it gonna cost you an additional $100
Like getting a bigger Pot will

Bigger is better/when the cost is not really a factor

my 2Cents

I was too cheap to buy the 10 gal round, but went the 48 qt rect instead.

I like it, and it has made a good 50+ gallons of beer for me

Back