Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleFisted

Reaction score
So I built a new mash tun, I needed a bigger one. Well I tried to make it the same way I made my last one by just sticking a 1/2" tube through the spigot. Well it leaked. I took the spigot out and put all brass coupling through with two washer seals and a ball valve on the outside. It still leaks a bit. I tried putting silicone around to help seal it up, worked great for about a half hour and then the silicone came free. Then I noticed you're not suppose to put silicone in submerged water. Anybody have any suggestions for a different kind of seal or sealant to use?

I've heard about people using epoxy, but I can't speak as to which would be food safe.

I used a liquid gasket for the outside I figured that would hold up but I would like to put something in the inside as well.

Try putting a rubber or perhahps a nylon washer on the inside between the cooler and your bulkhead. Wrench it down tight and you should be good to go.

Back