mash tun got too hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faseel

Reaction score
Help! Ok I coughed in at 152 f, I was looking at my blichmann and it started to go to 150, no problem, just add some heat. After a minute or so it seem to still drop, ok I turn up the heat. I minute later it barely climbs 1 degree. Hmmm I lift my lid and its freaking boiling! !! I cut the heat, add ice and stir like a mad man. Its back down after 10 minutes, however, it got to 180 f. Am I screwed? Could that have leeched out too much tannins? It is an oatmeal stout, but im worried this is my first 10 gallon batch and my first use of a heated mash tun. Ahh!

I did this a few weeks ago. Do an iodine test to see if you got conversion. I was lucky and did. The beer finished about 2 pts higher than I expected, and was very slightly more bitter than expected but drinkable. My grain bill was mostly light base malts though. The ingredients are already used so you have little to lose by trying to finish it.

Help! Ok I coughed in at 152 f, I was looking at my blichmann and it started to go to 150, no problem, just add some heat. After a minute or so it seem to still drop, ok I turn up the heat. I minute later it barely climbs 1 degree. Hmmm I lift my lid and its freaking boiling! !! I cut the heat, add ice and stir like a mad man. Its back down after 10 minutes, however, it got to 180 f. Am I screwed? Could that have leeched out too much tannins? It is an oatmeal stout, but im worried this is my first 10 gallon batch and my first use of a heated mash tun. Ahh!

Sounds like you caught it quickly enough that you should probably be okay. I wouldn't be worried about leeching tannins, though you may have denatured some of the enzymes and not end up being able to fully ferment the beer down to where you expect the final gravity to be. But it probably won't be that bad.

Those dial thermometers can have all kinds of problems. I've always double checked mine with a digitial thermometer a couple times during the brew to make sure it's accurate.

You won't have tannin extraction because of a hot mash. Some brewers use a decoction mash in which 40-50% of the mash is boiled.

However, you may have deactivated your mash enzymes and could possibly have a poor conversion. This depends on how long your mash was at 150-152, maybe you were already close to full conversion. Tell us your efficiency.

Thanks guys, I had it at 152 for roughly 45 minutes so I might just get lucky. Ph was dead on, so, all was right with the world. Ill report effective % I a bit. Lessons learned on dials :)

The reaction looks minimal, but I don't think I got all of it.

ForumRunner_20120101_121456.jpg

Ok, long day, lots of stops and starts, but I pulled out a 76.39% efficiency. Hurray! ! Thanks for the help guys. Fyi, do oats give false positive with the iodine test?

Back