Mash today Brew tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemieuxp

Reaction score
Kind of time constrained but wanted to push one through this weekend. Can I mash today and brew tomorrow? Any concerns? Would I have to cool in the refridgerator?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've done this once, and woke up to find a thin white film covering the wort. I didn't put the pot in the fridge overnight, just left it out with the cover on. Somehow I still didn't end up with sour beer. I think what you're suggesting can be done, but bring the sweet wort up to a boil for a few minutes before putting in the fridge over night to kill off any organisms in there. It can't be considered best practice, but I think it you can do it.

If you can fit your pot into the oven, heat your oven to 180. After you mash, heat the wort to 190 or so, turn off the oven and throw it in overnight. The goal is to keep the temp above 140. I generally leave it for at least 6 hours and it's around 155 degrees in the morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Great ideas but I guess I'll just wait and do it right...thanks guys!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I do it quite frequently. I cool my wort to below 100F, place it in a clean and sanitized bucket (with clean, sanitized, well-sealing lid), then store in the fridge. If I'm going to brew more than 3 days after mash, I'll freeze instead.

As long as you have sanitation under control, and room to store it, you can do it.

I tried an overnight mash without problems. That is mash in today, sparge tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back