Mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale_Jail

Reaction score
So while conducting my mash, the temp of the water/grain mixture has been around 150-152.....if I pull the bag to the side and take a temp measurement the temps shows at 155-158.....which one is it? It doesn't make sense to me.....so which one do I pay attention to?

Pretty common actually. If your bag is relatively full and unable fill the volume of your pot, the area outside will be closer to strike temp than final temp.

I go by the main body of the mash in three places averaged. The higher temp of the fluid outside the bag...consider it active insulation.

That's a good question. My first thought is to stir the mash to get an even temperature. Once you get the temperature evened out, it should stay that way, unless you are mashing in a metal pot in a cold area.

I have 11 lbs of grain in a wilser bag in a 10 gallon mega pot which is what he made the bag for so the bag should be fine.....the grain is def spread out and filling the entire pot. I stir it ever 10-15 min...the bag seems to be staying to the outside of the pot. Don't understand it at all

Did you take the temp right after mash in?

I find it takes several minutes or more for the mash temp to reach equilibrium, and the temps will change 3-5 degrees during that time.

I took temps throughout the entire process.....did a 90 min mash with an iodine test....seemed like I got a complete conversion and no matter what temp I used it was within mashing ranges just may have a little more/body....oh well time will tell.

On the negative side of things....I tore my wilser bag :(.....dang thermometer probe. But the bag is wonderful...really easy to work with....Ill get another one and be more careful next time I guess

Latest posts

Back