Mash in question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgable

Reaction score
Wich way is better? To add the hot water to the grain or the grain to the hot water and what differance does it make?

I think most people add hot water to the mashtun a few degrees over the strike temp then wait for the temp to equalize and cool a little before dumping the grain in. this helps insure a perfect rest temp that isnt screwed up by the thermal mass of the mashtun.

Yeah most people put the hot water in first as a way of pre-heating the tun, then getting it down to strike temp, then add the grains. Not sure if any other way would make a huge difference though....

so far I have been using hot water 190 degrees to preheat my mash tun then I dump this water and either add my grain then water or water then grain. I havent noticed any real differance in my beer so far but was wondering what the preferred methode is?

+1 what they said. It gives you a very accurate strike temp that way. Also pay attention to grain temp because it does affect the mash temp.

I do add water that is higher than my mash temp. I use brewsmith and add the the water acording to the program. It does tell me to preheat the mash tun first.

That's correct. Just go a few degrees higher and let it sit with the lid on to stabilize and then check it. I find after a few times doing this you will be able to know how many degrees over the strike temperature you have to go to get it almost dead on stabilized strike temp.

I don't know that it makes a difference but I go water first. I preheat with a gallon of 180 deg, dump it and then add my strke water. The calculators in various brewing software are pretty accurate to figure strike temp.

I don't know that it makes a difference but I go water first. I preheat with a gallon of 180 deg, dump it and then add my strke water. The calculators in various brewing software are pretty accurate to figure strike temp.

You are just wasting propane to heat extra water. You get the same thing done by going a few degrees higher than the strike temp as I said in my last post. Water first.

i add about a quart of water, then add grains until it looks a bit dry, add more water and keep going back and forth until all grains are added. i heat up to 180 and hit my mash temp every time. i read somewhere about dry spots and that its best to add a bit of water, then a bit of grains and keep stirring in between each addition. i haven't had any problems but what works for me might not work for you.

If you add grain and all the water is already in there the grain floats until it is wet enough to sink. It is fairly hard to get a dry spot if you constantly stir while pouring the grain in a bit at a time. I have dumped in half of a 23 LB grain bill and stirred and then slowly added while stiring. No problems with doughballs.

For what it's worth, John Palmer's book recommends adding the grain first, then adding the water a gallon at a time, stirring between additions (careful not to aerate). He also recommends preheating the tun with a gal of boiling water. That seems a bit hot for the plastic coolers (which he's using). Seems like the majority here add water first. Probably not a lot of difference.

Back