Mash efficiency. Brewhouse Efficiency. A simple explanation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an article of mine that appeared on HBT 8-12-2015. I thought I would also post it in this, the all-grain & partial mash brewing forum.

The Efficient Brewer​

Why is my efficiency so low? Can someone explain my efficiency? I thought i understood efficiency. These statements are just some examples of the many threads relating to efficiency that I have seen on Homebrewtalk. It would seem the forum is replete with individuals scratching their noodles in an effort to solve a conundrum their brewing data has presented. Fortunately, there are many helpful members who are ready, willing, and able to crunch the numbers, point out possible errors, and in many instances solve the riddle.

The purpose of this article is not to explore brewing-science's formulae and mathematics, but to illustrate some simple steps involved in the collection and interpretation of useful brewing data. Many homebrewers, myself included, use brewing software to crunch the numbers and calculate efficiencies. Through accurate data collection and analysis, brewers can more easily localize problems with their equipment or methods and find effective solutions. Lets look at two important numbers, mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency, and explore what each of them means.

Mash Efficiency
This is a measure of how effective your methods are at extracting the starches from the grains, converting those starches to sugars, and getting the resultant sugars out of the mash-tun and into your boil-kettle. In other words, how effective are you at getting the available sugars into your kettle. It’s no more complicated than that. To calculate mash efficiency we need to know three things.

• The estimated maximum potential gravity points in the grain-bill.
  • The specific-gravity of the sweet-wort
  • The pre-boil volume of sweet-wort in the boil-kettle

Efficiency Images for Article.001.jpg

Maximum Potential Gravity
Every grain has a variety of descriptive numbers associated with it. One of these is its potential gravity and is measured in points per pound per gallon (PPG). This is the theoretical specific gravity of a gallon of wort containing 100% of the potential sugars in one pound of the grain. A grain-bill’s potential gravity is the sum of the gravity points available from each grain-type. Unless you perform your own grain analysis, this number is dependent on the accuracy of two things; the malsters’ grain data and weight of the grain-bill. Accurately weighing each grain-type is therefore very important.

Specific Gravity
A representative sample of the sweet-wort is taken from the kettle, cooled to the calibration temperature of the measuring device and its specific-gravity measured. Hydrometers or refractometers can be used. I favor narrow-range hydrometers for their ease of use. Both the sample and hydrometer are cooled prior to taking a reading. If only the sample is cooled, adding a room-temperature hydrometer will induce a temperature change and small measurement error.

Efficiency Images for Article.002.jpg

Volume
The volume of sweet-wort prior to the boil can be measured in a variety of ways. A calibrated dowel, ruler or sight-glass are popular methods. Another approach is to etch volume-markings directly onto the kettle. This is the method I chose. Owing to the high temperatures (~170°F) of the sweet-wort, pre-boil measurements must be corrected to account for volumetric shrinkage to the hydrometer’s calibration point. This correction, approximately a 2.5% reduction in volume from pre-boil temperatures is not automatically made by the popular brewing software I use.

Why is it important to measure mash efficiency?
Multiple enzyme mediated chemical reactions occur in a mash. These reactions produce the fermentable sugars and other compounds responsible for giving a beer its signature characteristics. Knowing how good a job we did at mashing (getting the sugars into our boil-kettle), can highlight procedural problems before and during the mash. Factors negatively impacting the efficacy and efficiency of a mash include:

• Poorly crushed grain
  • An overly thick or gelatinous mash consistency
  • Excessively low or high mash temperatures
  • A large mash-tun dead-space
  • Ineffective sparging methods
  • Poor management of mash pH*
*Mash pH has greater impact on flavor but does effect efficiency, albeit to a much lesser extent.

After mashing and lautering, the wort is heated and boiling ensues with or without corrective measures. If mash efficiency is not in-line with the brewer’s objective, such corrections can include an addition of malt extract or an adjustment to the planned boil duration. This is a completely different, albeit related topic, beyond the scope of this article. When the boil is complete, the wort is cooled and transferred to the fermentor. Brewhouse efficiency can now be calculated.

Efficiency Images for Article.003.jpg

Brewhouse Efficiency
This is a measure of how effective your entire brewing process is. What portion of the total potential sugars made it into the fermentor. It can never be greater than your mash efficiency and is affected by volume losses during and after the mash. To calculate brewhouse efficiency we again, need to know three things.

• The estimated maximum potential gravity points in the grain-bill.
  • The original-gravity of the wort (OG)
  • The volume of wort in the fermentor

Efficiency Images for Article.004.jpg

Maximum Potential Gravity
This is the same measurement as previously calculated. It is based on the malsters’ data and accurate weighings of the various grain-types

Original Gravity
After the boil a representative sample of the wort is taken from the kettle or the fermentor. The sample is prepared in the same manner as before, allowing accurate measurement of the original gravity.

Volume
The volume of wort transferred to the fermentor is easily measured using calibrated markings on the fermentor. I ferment my beer in glass carboys and added etched volume-markings to them. Accurate markings eliminate any guesswork.

Efficiency Images for Article.005.jpg

Why is it important to measure brewhouse efficiency?
Monitoring and maintaining a high brewhouse efficiency is extremely important for commercial breweries as it significantly impacts their overhead costs and bottom line. Efficiency related cost savings are minimal on the homebrewing scale. I would argue however, that there are important, non-cost-related benefits to developing more efficient brewing practices.

Knowing how good a job was done at getting the sugars into our fermentor enables the brewer to more accurately formulate recipes and water volume requirements at each stage of the brewing process. Assuming mash efficiency is known, the value can also highlight volume losses after the mash and areas where one’s methods could be improved. Factors negatively impacting brewhouse efficiency include:

• Mash efficiency (brewhouse efficiency can never exceed this number)
  • Spilled wort
  • Dead-space in the kettle, chiller and hoses
  • Wort absorbed by hops
  • Kettle-trub

With accurate data collection, and carefully directed refinement of the approach one takes to brewing, a greater understanding and control of its fundamental processes can be gleaned. Improved control of the home-brewery will inevitably lead to increased efficiency and a welcome additional byproduct; consistency. This is all-too-often overlooked when discussing efficiency numbers.

Efficiency Images for Article.006.jpg

Unlike the astronauts in “The Simpsons” you don’t need to be "a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician [or] a statistician", but you do need to take accurate measurements. Consistent and predictable efficiency better allows us to craft beers with intended characteristics, not ones dictated by inaccuracies inherent in our home-brewery. Isn't that a worthy goal?

*Certain hydrometers are calibrated to read at the top of the meniscus. Verifying the calibration on your own device is warranted.

When your dividing by the total gravity points that is the sum of theoretical points given by the total weight of the grain bill and its respective malts, correct ?

So if I add up my grain bill to be 422pts I dont figure that for 6.5gal of preboil wort... that density is being figured when you plug and chug through the calculations you provided as they account for volume, correct ?

When your dividing by the total gravity points that is the sum of theoretical points given by the total weight of the grain bill and its respective malts, correct ?

So if I add up my grain bill to be 422pts I dont figure that for 6.5gal of preboil wort... that density is being figured when you plug and chug through the calculations you provided as they account for volume, correct ?

Not sure I understand you I'm afraid.

Gravity points are not density related. It is measure (albeit a crude one) of sugars in the grain.

The gravity points in the kettle after the mash in the example I show would be

Corrected volume x 1000(Preboil gravity-1)

7.5 (.975) x 50 =gravity points in the kettle

Knowing the theoretical gravity points in the grain bill allows mash efficiency to be measured.

Gravity points in kettle/theorized gravity points in grain-bill = mash efficiency

let me know if that helps. I'm not sure I'm answering your question. Sorry

Do you use the actual volume collected and the total theoretical points for the grain weight ?

The grain bill I have has 422 possible points for its 11lb 12oz weight. I would (assuming 7.5gal collected) use 422 / 7.5 = 56 and then use 50/56 x 100 = 89% (assuming your above case of 50pts in the kettle) and that would be mash efficiency correct

Do you use the actual volume collected and the total theoretical points for the grain weight ?

The grain bill I have has 422 possible points for its 11lb 12oz weight. I would (assuming 7.5gal collected) use 422 / 7.5 = 56 and then use 50/56 x 100 = 89% (assuming your above case of 50pts in the kettle) and that would be mash efficiency correct

You need to correct the pre-boil volume for shrinkage of ~2.5%.

7.31 x 50 = 365.6 (assumes a post runnings wort temp of 170F and a preboil gravity of 1.050)

Not sure where you are getting your grain weight or your assumed pre-boil volume or assumed pre-boil gravity.

I don't do any of these calculations other than the volume correction

I'm really not following you I'm afraid. Sorry

I guess where do you get your "total gravity points" that you divide by ?

I guess where do you get your "total gravity points" that you divide by ?

Average PPG for grains is about 36

So grain weight x 36

I get this data from my brewing software. The calculations were omitted to avoid any confusion. I like many folks use software to do the calculations. Each grain has it's own extract potential or points per gallon. Depending on the recipe the total potential sugars are estimated from this.

Grain1 weight x PPG +Grain2 weight x PPG +Grain3 weight x PPG +Grain4 weight x PPG etc. = Total potential gravity points available.

Ok thats where I got my total points of 422 based upon the different grains that make up my 11lb 12oz total grain bill and their respective ppg

Ok gotcha now. Don't know why I got so confused. Sorry about that.

With an uncorrected pre-boil volume of 7.5 gallons and a pre-boil gravity of 1.050 and your grain bill with 422 points that's a mash efficiency of

365.5/422 x100= 86.7% Not too shabby at all. Nicely done. :ban:

Time for a short rant - I don't give a rat's _____ about brew house efficiency. Way too many variables for me to get a handle on. It does not help me at all in the brewing process. I would have to adjust it depending upon kettle hops additions. DIPA - brew house efficiency goes down. Oatmeal stout with a single 1.5 oz addition - it goes up. Windy day - boil off is a little less.

This is why I can't understand why Beer Smith uses Brew House Efficiency, rather than Mash Efficiency.

Thanks for reading.

/out

Duly noted.

Fortunately Beersmith uses neither. It is however a useful tool to help calculate both. The brewer chooses what to use not a piece of software.

There is a very easy solution to work around the changing hop-bill issue to get a constant value of trub loss from brew to brew regardless of all but the most extreme hop-bill. Simply increase this to a higher fixed amount for larger hop-bills.

For any given brew, mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency can be calculated with ease using a variety of software; Beersmith is the one I favor.

The purpose of the article is not to persuade people to use one particular value over another but to suggest ways in which accurate data collection can be to our benefit. Each to their own of course. Thanks for your input.

Time for a short rant - I don't give a rat's _____ about brew house efficiency. Way too many variables for me to get a handle on. It does not help me at all in the brewing process. I would have to adjust it depending upon kettle hops additions. DIPA - brew house efficiency goes down. Oatmeal stout with a single 1.5 oz addition - it goes up. Windy day - boil off is a little less.

This is why I can't understand why Beer Smith uses Brew House Efficiency, rather than Mash Efficiency.

Thanks for reading.

/out
Yeah, brewhouse efficiency is one of the least useful metrics. Mash efficiency (sugar_in_BK / max_potential_sugar) is the one that tells you more about how your process is going. To really understand your process, you need to separate the mash efficiency into its two factors: conversion efficiency and lauter efficiency:
Mash_Efficiency = Conversion_Efficiency * Lauter_Efficiency​
If conversion efficiency is low, then look at the mash process itself (crush, time, temp, pH, etc.) If lauter efficiency is low, then look at your sparging & run-off processes (mixing, grain absorption, MLT undrainable volume, etc.)

Brew on :mug:

Yeah, brewhouse efficiency is one of the least useful metrics.

I understand your point Doug but I would have to somewhat disagree. I think BH is very useful for a variety of reasons.

Recipe forumation
Recipe scaling
Identifying post-mash volume losses if mash efficiency is good.

I definitely agree that if trying to pinpoint a process error it is the value for ME and its associated conversion and lautering efficiency that take center stage.

Back