Marris Otter SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orford

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have been thinking about a MO SMaSH lately since I have a bunch of MO in the basement. I have not been able to make up my mind whether to use Fuggles or Cascade... So I decided to do both. Both will be an IPA. I set up the recipes to have matching OG and IBUs with matching late additions and dry hopping. My goal is to do these the same weekend (if not the same day) and pitch with the same yeast (I have top cropped 1469 in the fridge). What do people think?

Sounds good. I am drinking a MO and Falconers flight SMaSH right now and its great. I plan on doing a cascade version soon.

I did a really simple one - MO, about 9 pounds (enough to get an OG 1.040) and mashed it at 149 for 60 mins. Then added .60 of Centennial at 60 and fermented it with 1272 and it was awesome. Definitely not hoppy at all, but I really got a feel for what MO brings to a recipe.

So I went head with this little experiment. Both kegs are in the keggerator and while a bit young the results are striking already. The cascade SMaSH is great, malty, grainy and all sorts of Cascady goodness. The Fuggles batch is awful... Nutty, grassy, sort of like drinking dirt flavored beer... 3 oz of Fuggles as a dry hop is way too much. Pulled the bag out of the keg and replaced with some EKG, hopefully this will fix things...

Surprised the fuggles got so undrinkable. Perhaps they were overdone, but when I use them I get a nice, soft fruitiness. Maris otter is always my go to grain for distinctly English beers. I like to pair Thomas fawcett Maris otter with any of their crystal malts. Heaven.

Back