Maris Otter/Mount Hood SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
I've never used Mt Hood before, so today I'm doing a SMaSH with Maris Otter. Initially I was going to throw in an oz of left over N. Brewer as the 60 min addition, but I figure I'll go with simplicity so I can get a good idea of what Mt Hoods all about.

5.5 Batch

1.054 OG
45 IBU

10.5 Lbs Maris Otter @154

1 oz Mt Hood 6.1% FWH
1 oz Mt Hood 6.1% 60 min
.5 oz Mt Hood 6.1% 15 min
.5 oz Mt Hood 6.1% 5 min

Wyeast 1056 - 2L Starter

Should be a good day!

Never tried that hop either,but I love MO smash brews. Good luck and happy brewing.

Just bottled a Maris Otter and Columbus sMasH today! Let us now how it tastes. I'll do another version with your recipe next, if you recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd probably use a different base malt if I brewed a SMaSH with Mt Hood. I really like the clean, spicy bitterness I'm pulling from Mt Hood, but the nutty malty background coming from the Maris Otter seems a little out of place right now. Granted, it's only been in the bottle for a week (curiosity got the best of me) so maybe the MO will mellow out with time.

I could definitely see using these hops in a Cream Ale or even as flavor/aroma additions in a Pale Ale. I might even be curious to try another SMaSH and sub the MO with Vienna.

I think after drinking through this batch I might want a break from the MO, but I do love me some Columbus hops. How did your batch turn out?

Just bottled a Maris Otter and Columbus sMasH today! Let us now how it tastes. I'll do another version with your recipe next, if you recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How did it turn out? I got supplies for this smash today, plan to brew tomorrow. Please share recipe! Thanks!

Anyone else tried a mo/Columbus smash?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I can say Columbus is my favorite single hop I've ever brewed with. It was a single hop DIPA and it was dank and delicious. Wasn't Maris Otter, though.

Back