March Pumps AC-5B-MD Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardan

Reaction score
Just got a new March Pumps Model AC-5B-MD and thought you folks would like a review. This is the same model that is sold as the H325 Nano Brew Pump by the folks at MoreBeer/MoreFlavor/Fermentap. I went for this high output model because my March 809 just couldn't handle keg/carboy washing in a timely and efficient manner (17 gpm vs. 6 gpm). It'll also some day be used to transfer 2bbl batches, but that's another story.

The pictures are as the pump was received from FedEx after I dug it out of my front planter. Very solidly packaged with the foam packing formed around the contours of the pump top and bottom - no shifting when tipping/shacking it back and forth.

Manufacturer's Information AC-5B-MD:
Model: 0150-0200-0100 (AC-5B-MD 115V 50/60Hz)
Max Flow: 17 G.P.M. (60Hz); 60 L.P.M. (50Hz)
Max Head: 27 ft. (60Hz); 6 m (50Hz)
Inlet: 1" FPT
Outlet: 1/2" MPT
HP: 1/8 (60Hz)
Wet End: Polysulfone, Stainless Steel, Buna N, Ceramic
Mfg Link: http://www.marchpump.com/documents/hot_wort_pumps.asp

Components visible without disassembly include:
Cover (w/ Inlet): 0150-0189-0010: Polysulfone
Rear Housing (w/ Outlet): 0150-0174-0001: Polysulfone
Motor Connecting Bracket: 0150-0070-0100: Polysulfone
Motor: 0150-0027-1000: 115V, 50/60 Hz; manufactured by Fasco Industries, Inc.
Power cable: three wire cable w/out connector, barely three feet long

Manufacturer's Information AC-5C-MD:
Model: 0150-0200-0100 (AC-5C-MD 115V 50/60Hz)
Max Flow: 17 G.P.M. (60Hz); 60 L.P.M. (50Hz)
Max Head: 27 ft. (60Hz); 6 m (50Hz)
Inlet: 1" FPT
Outlet: 1/2" MPT
HP: 1/8 (60Hz)
Wet End: Polypropylene, Buna N, Ceramic, Ceramic Magnet
Mfg Link: http://www.marchpump.com/documents/series_5.asp

The AC-5B-MD is basically the same as the AC-5C-MD, but with the 5B's Polysulfone and Stainless Steel replacing the 5C's Polypropylene and Ceramic Magnet for the Cover, Impeller Assembly, and Rear Housing components. Rated at 250F max liquid temp per conversation with company representative.

1881-march-ac-5b-md-top.jpg

1880-march-ac-5b-md-side.jpg

1879-march-ac-5b-md-ready.jpg

1878-march-ac-5b-md-impeller.jpg

1877-march-ac-5b-md-impeller-open.jpg

1876-march-ac-5b-md-impeller-housing.jpg

Some people (me included) received pumps without the stainless steel impeller cover, which is supposed to look like a shiny metal cup over the impeller when you disassemble it. This component isn't stricktly necessary, but will contain the impeller if it were to somehow break during a hot liquid transfer.

High resolution pictures available on my Picasa gallery here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dmg.brewer/MarchPumpsAC5BMD?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbmseSNtIiy-QE&feat=directlink

The fist pictures are of the erroneous impeller I received from my pump supplier, but I've been working with the folks at March Pumps to correct it. Everyone I've spoken with over there has been extremely helpful (they were actually the ones who told me to check for the impeller mixup in the first place), and they're sending the correct replacement piece free of charge. They also authorized use of the exisiting piece as long as it gets returned in good working order once the replacement arrives. Pics of the correct impeller will go up once it arrives.

1875-march-809-wash.jpg

1882-march-ac-5b-md-wash.jpg

YouTube Video Link:
The mic on my camera seems to be busted and goes from silent to some weird whistly noise, so you probably want to mute the video. The pump itself sounds similar to the 809.

As the pictures show, the 5' rise for the wash setup was too much for the 809 but the AC-5B-MD worked great. The 1" line-in makes a huge difference, improving the height and force of the 1/2" line-out for the wash spray inside the carboy (and kegs). It will also spray all the way up and through my two big 15 gallon corny kegs when I need to clean any of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Judging by the price....it really is a nano pump. Too expensive for a smalltimer, and a steal for a brewery. I can appreciate that B3 is looking to the "middle market". Really...you should get a youtube video of it in action and post here. Hard to understand flow without.....flow. :D

Here are pictures of the new, stainless steel impeller:

2053-march-ac-5b-md-impeller-packing.jpg

2052-march-ac-5b-md-impeller-box.jpg

2051-march-ac-5b-md-impeller-comparison-left-stainless-steel-housing-ceramic-housing.jpg

One of the impellers look like the blades are wider than the other, was the replacement impeller the one with wider blades?
On the 809 impeller be it standard or the later HF impeller they both have a stainless cap this includes the Chugger pump impeller.

Yes we had a batch of 5B pumps go out without the stainless cups. :( Luckly it was only like 15-20 units so i believe the distributors were contacted and customers that bought them were called. I had one person call me because the magnet cracked in half on the impeller and locked up his pump. I sent him a new one with SS cup. Another called me because he too found it less SS cup, but i told him he can run it as is till he gets the new impeller as well. Normally the magnets wont crack like it did for the first guy....but depending on how fast you change over from pumping the boiling liquids over to the cooling liquids you can get a thermal shock to the magnet and split it. Thats why we install the SS cup over it. It acts as a binder to help it stay together and not expand/contract rapidly. If anyone else happens to have a 5B, feel free to look inside the pump (No you wont void any warranty by opening it up) and verify you have a SS cup on the impeller. If not then give me a call and i will get it fixed for ya. :D

-Walter

One of the impellers look like the blades are wider than the other, was the replacement impeller the one with wider blades?
On the 809 impeller be it standard or the later HF impeller they both have a stainless cap this includes the Chugger pump impeller.

Not to worry - the apparent difference in blade size was accidental forced perspective on my part. They're the same size and work the same, but freehanding the shot without a measuring tape and tripod got them a bit out of alignment in frame.

You dont have to worry about getting the wrong impeller size in this case as the Polysulfil plastic we use is always black. The other series 5 impellers are all white in color. We dont do any machining on the plastic parts when the come out of the molds unless they are being trimmed down in size to compensate for thicker viscocities. :)

-Walter

I recently bought one of these pumps as well. Walter could you please PM me your contact info? Thanks in advance, couldn't find it on the company site.

PM sent. If any one needs to get a hold of me feel free to email me: wwojcik@ marchpump.com or call 847-729-5300 and ask for me in :)

-Walter

I recently bought one of these pumps as well. Walter could you please PM me your contact info? Thanks in advance, couldn't find it on the company site.

Adam,
Your parts are on their way...if you need a tracking number just give me a call...they should be there inside 2 days i believe.

-Walter

The PL-HS-C if plumbed with a 3/4" line on the inlet,can give you slightly more gpm output due to it having less restriction on the inlet side....but if you are gonna use 1/2" line then you won't see a difference between them. It would only be a preference as to how you want to plumb it up. Also neither one comes with a plug so you would need to wire that up yourself. :)

-Walter

The PL-HS-C if plumbed with a 3/4" line on the inlet,can give you slightly more gpm output due to it having less restriction on the inlet side....but if you are gonna use 1/2" line then you won't see a difference between them. It would only be a preference as to how you want to plumb it up. Also neither one comes with a plug so you would need to wire that up yourself. :)

-Walter

Walter, I agree but have a few questions.
With that March pump having both 3/4" MPT (OD) plus 3/8" FPT (ID) on the center inlet, page 2; http://www.colder.com/Portals/0/Lib...ture/WhitePapers/Documents/NPT_whitepaper.pdf

Better yet this chart for 3/8" FPT tap drill hole diameter of 9/16" or .5625";
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/npttap.htm

The 3/8" FPT (off the above chart shows .681" OD this at the peaks of the
3/8" MPT not the peaks of the 3/8" FPT which is smaller due to thread grip on the pump inlet diameter.
To maintain constant 3/4" tubing ID thruout plus the pump inlet of 3/4" ID this using a 3/4" coupling, those 3/8" FPT threads would need to be drilled out to 3/4" ID.
Those 3/8" FPT peaks are 9/16" (.5625") diameter, cross sectional area of 0.248", 3/4" ID 0.441" cross sectional area. This reduces cross area down to 0.562, I find not ideal with a fully 3/4" ID feed system to the pump.
This 3/8" FPT is a pump inlet restriction with added turbulence plus a collection spot for crap by those threads. Question, the inlet just before the volute is this a smooth bore?, What is the diameter of it as this must be a set and balanced design matching the volute for maximum pump efficiency. I'm not hammering on ya Walter as your great, just needed some clearing up with a few questions. Carl.

Adam,
Your parts are on their way...if you need a tracking number just give me a call...they should be there inside 2 days i believe.

-Walter

I did receive the parts Thursday and was able to brew a bbl batch on Saturday, no problems. Thank you for making that happen!
I may be in the market for a second pump once we have our 2 bbl system in place in March or so. I'd want to make sure it has the stainless drive magnet though. Will this be a permanent feature?

It was only one batch of 25 pumps we made that some how got the wrong impellers. So there should not be any future problems. But just incase feel free to pop the cover off and inspect the impeller just to have peace of mind :)

http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?site=ww...698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364819bb2

I just ordered this one on Wednesday evening, got it at 3:00 pm on friday! that was fast shipping. I had written them asking them if they had any chugger pumps left, they replied 'no' and to buy a march pump from them& they would throw a stainless head in for FREE! =) :ban:

Gotta say I'm impressed with they're customer service!
It came with a warranty card so I'm gonna send that in PRONTO.

Now my brew setup is a tad closer to my goal (as of now).

If I'm reading this right to convert a AC-5B-MD to a AC-5SSB-MD we would only need to order part #0150-0111-0000 & #0150-0110-0000?

Scratch that, it would be about the same to just buy a new AC-5SSB-MD.

OR... what you guys can do is look on eBay or any overstock/supply wharehouses for a TE-5S-MD pump.....that thing would be ALL Stainless...only thing you would need to do is have the bushing inside the Impeller changed out and clean it out before use. Thats a more industrial pump then the AC version....but still the same :)

Back