March Pump Screamin!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got my two pumps hooked up in my distribution manifold... I've tested them dry (for 1 cesond) to confirm the control works.

One pump runs, and the other screams/squeals.

I've taken the motor off the squealer and she runs perfectly quiet. When she is coupled to the impeller in the head, she squeals, leading me to believe is has nothing to do with oiling the pump.

Is this because she is dry? I'm curious why one would be silent and the other scream.

I'm still a few days from wet tests and cant confirm if it is bc it is dry.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

i know I'm only repeating what has already been said, but i can't help it...

this is copied from a vendors page for a march 809

NOTE:

THESE PUMPS CANNOT BE RUN DRY ..IT WILL DAMAGE THE PUMP ...IF YOUR PUMP IS SQUEALING IT IS DUE TO NO FLUID IN THE HOUSING WHILE POWERING IT. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTABLE SITUATION FOR THE PUMP...DO NOT APPLY POWER TO THE PUMP WITHOUT HAVING FLUID IN THE PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(yes, it was in red originally)

Hey Guys,

I've got my two pumps hooked up in my distribution manifold... I've tested them dry (for 1 cesond) to confirm the control works.

One pump runs, and the other screams/squeals.

I've taken the motor off the squealer and she runs perfectly quiet. When she is coupled to the impeller in the head, she squeals, leading me to believe is has nothing to do with oiling the pump.

Is this because she is dry? I'm curious why one would be silent and the other scream.

I'm still a few days from wet tests and cant confirm if it is bc it is dry.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

It is normal for March pumps to squeal when run dry. Running them dry will kill them for sure.

Back