march pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
said it is for non us locations, so I assume it is 230@ 50 hrtz. Is your system 240 volt two legs or 240 single leg with ground?

America is single phase 3 wire which has 2 120 volt hot legs and a ground, with 240vac across the 2 hot legs. Some of Europe I think?? has one leg @ 240v with a neutral wire, like our 480/277v systems do.

I'd contact march direct to make sure that particular model, runs on europeon electrical system?

http://www.marchpump.com/documents/809-HS.asp#809-PL-HS 115V 50/60Hz & 230V 50/60Hz Models

I would consider a brass head if purchasing a new March. The plastic ones are easy to mess up the threads, and if you are brewing outside in the cold they become brittle.

+1! I stripped the one end of the plastic head when putting my first coupler on. Luckily I was able to fix it enough to make it work...

How much are ones with Brass heads. I don't think I've seen those sold on the homebrew sites.

Seriously, how are you guys stripping the threads? You're not building a tank here! Use plenty of teflon tape and give it a turn or so past finger tight.

Seriously, how are you guys stripping the threads? You're not building a tank here! Use plenty of teflon tape and give it a turn or so past finger tight.

I was excited and got a little :drunk: waiting on the UPS guy to deliver. I was actually surprised at how easy it was for my coupler to thread on even though it was not threading straight. Luckily for me I noticed it before I threaded too much and it was only a portion of the first thread that was stripped.. With a little doctoring I fixed it. You can easily bend the threads with a screw driver...not the most solid thing...

A brass head is not necessary by any means...but I think they are only an extra $10 or something. So if you're not real handy it might be worth considering the upgrade...

For whatever reason, no matter how careful I was, the reducer couplings I used would not line up properly and kept cross-threading. It took a lot of attempts to finally get it right.

Just out of curiosity, I tried a ball valve with a 1/2" thread and it threaded on perfectly. The couplings, not so much.

How much are ones with Brass heads. I don't think I've seen those sold on the homebrew sites.

I saw them on one homebrew store's site, but I can't remember which one it was.

There's a guy on ebay that sells the plastic headed ones for $114 w/ free shipping, which is the best price I have seen anywhere for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/March-809-PL-HS-INLINE-WITH-BASE-3-FT-cord_W0QQitemZ220562788687QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a91114f

EDIT: Sorry to the original poster. I forgot that you need a 230V pump. My bad!

Back