march pump and cleaning questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paledragon

Reaction score
i'm trying to size all my electrical equipment for a HERMS setup, and i checked out the PDF manual for the march pump off their website. it lists the motor as 1/25 hp, 93 watts, and 1.4 amps. none of these numbers actually match if you convert them. anyone have any idea how much juice this thing actually uses?

also, how do you clean a HERMS system? just recirc hot water, PBW? should it be drained after, or left in water?

thanks,
p.d.

I clean mine by pumping hot water through it until it runs clean, then mix StarSan and circulate for a while. I leave that in the system until my next brewday.

As for the motor current, go with 1.5FLA and don't sweat it. If you want to calculate it exactly, use this formula -

hp x 746
E x %Eff x pf

hp = horsepower
E = voltage
Eff = rated motor efficiency
pf = power factor
this is asuming a single-phase motor...

To find horsepower -

I x E x %Eff x pf

also, how do you clean a HERMS system? just recirc hot water, PBW? should it be drained after, or left in water?

Following The Pol's lead, I pump my sparge water through the HEX... nice and clean with no additional work! And I drain it and let it dry.

Back