Man I love Blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a gallon test batch to try using the Victory Blackberry recipie. I had to buy the berries, but it was worth every penny.

I'm hording the last 2 bottles for an EXTREMELY good occasion.
This is not a wine to waste on the neighbors or even close family for that matter.:D

I need to get a pickup load of berries this summer.

Not a lot of black berries here in kansas. But it seems like I can't walk more then a couple blocks without running into a mullberry tree. I'm working on a five gallon batch of mullberry/rosehip/hibiscus wine and a gallon of mullberry wine with a hint of ginger. I'm
planning on freeze concentrating the gallon into one bottle of brandy. :)

You can also use 100% blackberry juice, pick, freeze, thaw and crush about 50 pounds for 5 gallons, this is only for people who really really like blackberries! WVMJ

You make me want to try this. I've never made wine myself, but had some excellent and most memorable fruit wines. Blackberry and gooseberry come to mind. There is something magical about those berries.:rockin:

We're way past the mulberries here and wild raspberries are about done too. Time flies.

25 lbs blackberry's
8 lbs plus 5 cups sugar
5 tsp nutrient
3tsp energizer
1/2 tsp tannin
3 tsp acid blend
5 tsp pectin enzyme
5 c tabs
1118 lalvin yeast
1085 sg
6 gallon

Do you like dry wine? 1118 will eat that dry in no time. You will have to stabilize and back sweeten if you want a wine with any sweetness, or if you want a high ABV keep adding sugar until the alcohol kills the yeast. I have hit 20+% doing this.

I want it to go dry and some day I will sorbate then add just enough sugar to my liking. I do not need 20 percent I kind of like 10 to 12 myself.

12% is good. I like to make some of the really strong stuff for when I am camping with some friends. They don't believe me when I tell them how strong it is, but they do the next morning.

Back