Malto dextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
Is Malto dextrin the same as dextrin malt? I have a recipe that calls for dextrin malt, the only thing I found at the hbs was malto dextrin. It's a fine white powder.

No it is not the same.
dextrine malt is a malt (grain). comercial names are carapils and carafoam. They yield dextrines and other things.
there is a debate out there if they can be steeped or should be mashed. My LHBS sayd steep, but other people (very experienced as well) say the contrary.

I open a thread asking if the maltodextrime may be used as a "extract" substitute for carapils and got different answers but the general conclusion was:

maltodextrine increases body
carapils (if properly used) increase body, foam stability.

maybe if you post the recipe, some more knowlegeable people will give you an idea.

good luck

Here is the recipe. It is for a Full Sail clone.

Ingredients:
7 pounds, Australian Light Malt Syrup
3/4 pound, Light Crystal Malt
2--1/4 ounce, Nugget Hops (1--3/4 ounce for boiling, 1/2 ounce for finishing)
2 teaspoons, Gypsum
1 ounce, Dextrin Malt
3/4 cup, Corn Sugar (priming)
Wyeast London Ale Yeast

Procedure:
Crack and steep crystal malt at 155 - 170 F for about 45 minutes in 1/2 gallon of water. Add extract, gypsum, dextrin and 2 gallons of water. Bring to boil, then add 1 3/4 oz. hops. Boil for 45 minutes, then add 1/2 oz. hops at the end of the boil for 15 minutes.

Specifics:
O.G.: 1.045
F.G.: 1.020
Primary: 3-5 days
Secondary: 7-14 days

I went ahead and bought the malto dextrin. Is that just going to make it more alcoholic then?

a single oz of dextrin malt? that seems strange to me. I'm betting that they actually meant malto-dextrin (the sugar you have) because an oz of dextrin malt (grain) wouldn't really do diddly-squat for body or head retention. Plus, the directions say to add it and bring to a boil, which you wouldn't want to do with a grain.... the grain would be steeped with the crystal at the beginning.

You're good to go, IMHO.

-walker

m_f said:
No it is not the same.
dextrine malt is a malt (grain). comercial names are carapils and carafoam. They yield dextrines and other things.
there is a debate out there if they can be steeped or should be mashed. My LHBS sayd steep, but other people (very experienced as well) say the contrary.

dextrine malt is actually produced very similarly to crystal malt. The enzymes in the grains are activated to break down most of the starches in the endosperm and convert them to dextrines. The same is done for Crystal malt except that it is later kilned at a higher temp to get the canalization.

One source, that I found for dextrine malt, states that these dextrines will not be broken down by the beta amylases in a mash. in contrary Dextrines produced by the alpha amylases in the same mash will be broken down by the betas if they have time and the temp is right. This means dextrine malt (as does crystal) will give you some "body" insurance.

As for the need to mash dextrine malt. I'm not sure. Maybe there are some unconverted starch residues that you may want to convert too?

Kai

At least it sounds like it isn't going to affect the brew to much, so I'll add what i got and not worry about it. I did see another recipe for it that specifically mentions the carapils, so maybe that is what they meant. I imagine it's not going to do too much either way.

Thanks for the replies.

One oz.? Reminds me of a cattleman's comment on a 3 oz. serving of beef, "Ain't enough to get the plate dirty."

Back