malt specification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
ok guys, some time ago I've posted a topic where I explained my efficiency problem, and it's here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/efficiency-147338/

there were many answers and hints but most of you wanted to see specification or analysis of the malt that I have been using because I bought it in the malt factory in Serbia, Europe, and it was unknown comparing to popular malts used in USA and UK for home brewing.

so finally I got the analysis and I would like you to comment it, here it is:

25897872.jpg

what do you think of this? what mash procedure should I use? any comments and advices?

Thank you all!

p.s

what is index Hartong and index Kolbach??

I'm surprised there is no Diastatic Power, but a saccharification speed of 10-15 is okay. Index Hartong 45 is a measure of enzyme quality: 38.5 is good.

I'm surprised there is no Diastatic Power, but a saccharification speed of 10-15 is okay. Index Hartong 45 is a measure of enzyme quality: 38.5 is good.

what is diastatic power?

what is diastatic power?

Here you go;

he diastatic power (DP), also called the "diastatic activity" or "enzymatic power", of a grain refers to the grain's ability to break down starches into sugars. This is determined by the amount of "diastase," today known as α-amylase, enzyme present in the grain. It generally refers only to malts, grains which have begun to germinate; the act of germination includes the production of a number of enzymes such as amylase which convert starch into sugar; thereby, sugars can be extracted from the barley's own starches simply by soaking the grain in water at a controlled temperature: this process is called mashing. Other enzymes break long proteins into short ones and accomplish other important tasks.

In general, the hotter a grain is kilned, the less its diastatic activity; consequently, only lightly-colored grains can be used as base malts, with Munich malt being the darkest base malt generally available.

Diastatic activity can also be provided by diastatic malt extract or by inclusion of separately-prepared brewing enzymes.

Diastatic power for a grain is measured in degrees Lintner (°Lintner or °L, although the latter can conflict with the symbol °L for Lovibond color); or in Europe by Windisch-Kolbach units (°WK). The two measures are related by

34f13b5479ed3382057daf9aeb4ea117.png

A malt with enough power to self-convert has a diastatic power near 35 °Lintner (94 °WK); the most active, so-called "hottest" malts currently available, American six-row pale barley malts, have a diastatic power of up to 160 °Lintner (544 °WK).

So I'm thinking "Index Kolbach" is the diastisity of the malt. So is that a 36.9 or 36,9 ??? Can't tell.

so do you guys think that I have a good grain and I don't need to do step infusion mash with this?

how to calculate efficiency with this malt?

The Kolbach index is the soluble nitrogen ratio, a.k.a. SNR and 36.9 is fairly low. 40+ is typical for well modified malts.

Hartong 45 is also known as VZ45. It is the amount of extract that can be extracted with a 45C mash. Not many brewers look at. There is a loose correlation between that number and the starch gelatinization temperature. 38 is fairly low but shouldn’t be to low. If you do a single infusion mash above 65C (150F) there should not be a problem with that. Here is some info: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Starch_Conversion#Gelatinization

Humidity is on the upper end of what you would expect from a malt. I think anything above 6% is not considered shelf stable. But what high humidity also does is lowering your extract potential.

An Extract potential of 79.3 dry is also lower than what you will find for most malts these days. It seems that 81-83% are more common for base malts. If I consider the moisture content your malt has an extract potential of only 75.3 % which equals about 34.6 ppg.

The “difference of extract” is in line with what I would expect for a well modified malt.

I’ll have to check the referenced thread to see how bad your efficiency was. The analysis sheet can explain a few percent but not 10+ %.

Kai

You may want to check out http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html when trying to understand malt analysis. His book "New Brewing Lager Beers" also gives a lot of useful information on this subject.
Now for some translations:
Humudity I believe translates to moisture content.
Extract (dry matter) I believe translates to Extract DBFG
Difference of Extract I believe translates to Difference Fg/CG
Based on the 95.1% modification factor, I would be happy using a single infusion mash. but I wouldn't be too happy about the high moisture content.

Hope this helps

-a.

You may want to check out http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html when trying to understand malt analysis. His book "New Brewing Lager Beers" also gives a lot of useful information on this subject.
Now for some translations:
Humudity I believe translates to moisture content.
Extract (dry matter) I believe translates to Extract DBFG
Difference of Extract I believe translates to Difference Fg/CG
Based on the 95.1% modification factor, I would be happy using a single infusion mash. but I wouldn't be too happy about the high moisture content.

Hope this helps

-a.

what is the worse thing this high moisture content can cause? do I have to change my process in any way considering this value? should I expect a loss in my beer quality? What does it mean in the end? Should I be worried, because I bought really a lot of this malt (150 kg)

ok, they just sent me the diastatic power of the malt, and it is 275 WK... what does this mean

ok, they just sent me the diastatic power of the malt, and it is 275 WK... what does this mean

That looks fine. Its about 83 deg Linter which is sufficienct for single infuion mashing.

I had a look at your efficiency thread and don't think your malt is to blame.

Kai

Back