malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickolas388

Reaction score
hi, i was just wondering would a can of malt extract go bad quick if its slightly opened? long story short, i was about to do a stove top brew and i was heating up the can of malt extract. i punctured a small hole with my can opener on the top of the can. i wanted to really heat the can , and i was concerned there may be an issue with pressure building up, but wasn't sure. its a long story but i wasn't able to finish the brew at the time.

will the malt extract still be good for a while? i was thinking about putting some plastic wrap on the top for the time being,

let me know what you guys think, all opinions welcome.

thanks,

-nick

How long are looking at? Are you brewing next weekend? Sealed up tight with plastic wrap and stored in the fridge I think it would be OK. Not sure about much longer than that.
Also, if you were planning to heat the can so it would flow better the easiest way would be to just place it in a pan of hot tap water while your brew water is coming to a boil.

good luck.

How quickly did you get it in the fridge? This stuff, if left out at room temps with a hole in the container, will go bad pretty quickly. As long as you got it fairly well sealed and in the fridge within a few hours, I would imagine it would keep for a week (kept cold).

How quickly did you get it in the fridge? This stuff, if left out at room temps with a hole in the container, will go bad pretty quickly. As long as you got it fairly well sealed and in the fridge within a few hours, I would imagine it would keep for a week (kept cold).

i believe i got it in the fridge about 2 hours later, could of been more though =( is there anyway to tell if it has gone bad? or will i just taste it in my beer. thanks

is there anyway to tell if it has gone bad?

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. It all depends what's in there, and how long it's been working. In your case, you're most likely safe. If you have any doubts, though, just throw it out. It's not worth risking your health for a $12 can of extract.

Youre going to boil it, right? Youre probably fine. Food in the fridge, properly covered lasts about 4 days, give or take.

Latest posts

Back