Making some changes to my keezer with Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
First the basic info:
7cu ft freezer with a coffin top, three taps and an STC1000. I have a 5lb CO2 cylinder inside with a dual gauge regulator. Attached to that, I have a 3 gauge regulator so I can have multiple pressures running on my kegs. That is all mounted inside the keezer. I want the CO2 cylinder and the extra gauges moved outside.

My options:
1. use a hole saw to drill a hole through the keezer bar top/lid and run the hoses in. Seal with Great Stuff. That does not seem like the most "elegant" way to solve my CO2 line problem
2. do something similar through the access door on the back of the coffin
3. install some sort of through-wall connectors similar to beer shanks
4. something with QDs

The question:
has anyone done anything like this and what was your solution?

Did you build with a wood collar? I'd go through that in the back if so.

No, it is a coffin top! Here are some photos of it when I was building it 2-yrs ago. The second photo is inside the coffin box. I'd like to have some sort of quick disconnect system that goes through the door on the back of that box and then I can run my hoses through one of the holes that circulate cold air. A fan sits on top of the duct on the left side. It pulls air up and around the beer shanks and then back down through the hole on the right. You can see the three shank holes at the top.

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

Easily accomplished, I've done similar on my keezer and both brew fridges.

Start by running a 1/4" MFL-MFL bulkhead like this through the back of your coffin.

04C03287.jpg

There are a couple of different lengths available.
Use swivel nuts and barbs on the inside to get to your kegs.

Then, on the outside, find yourself a gas post for a corny keg and a matching keg post to 1/4" MFL adapter.
For example, a Firestone gas post which uses 9/16-18 threads

15E04301.jpg

and a matching 9/16-18 keg post to 1/4" MFL adapter.

Adaptor%20-%2015E04451.jpg

Don't forget to get a 1/4" plastic flare washer

04e04290.jpg

to stick between the 1/4" MFL bulkhead and the post adapter.

Then all you need to add is your gas QD from the regulator, and you're good to go...

Cheers!

Thanks Day Trippr. I just installed bulkheads through the wall of my kegerator because I have access to 20 lb. CO2 tanks at work. Only costs me $11 to swap out a full tank for my empty! However, I had used swivel barb fittings on the outside to connect to the regulator. I was trying to figure out an easy way to be able to get access to gas outside of my kegerator without having to get a wrench out every time to unscrew the swivel. Voila! Your idea of putting a ball lock post on the bulkhead outside the kegerator is perfect! Thanks.

Back