Making soda water with a standard beer kegging setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey guys,

If I've got a standard CO2/kegging setup for my beer, is there any way my roommates can use this (perhaps with small additional purchase) for making fizzy water (a'la sodastream)? (i.e. sodawater)

If I filled a keg with water and force carbonated it, would that work? Or would the water start tasting "funny" after a few days?

Cheers,
Eddie

You can do a keg of soda water, or you can buy yourself a carbonator cap and re-use some PET bottles. Soda water is usually kept at 30-40 psi. So if you want something hooked up all the time, you might need another regulator.

I opted for the carbonator cap, and just adjust my pressure to carb a bottle of soda water then turn it back down.

Keeping carbonated water in a keg for a while is fine too. Its best if its chilled, but assuming the keg was clean and sterile, you have a number of weeks. I think a few months actually, but its just water and a small bit of co2 so its not a huge loss to dump it.

Smaller and faster batches, use the carbonator cap.

Make sure any metal your new seltzer runs through is stainless. Some beer making or beer pouring gear is plated and the seltzer will eat away the plating. Not healthy! The colder the water you gas the better the seltzer.

Back