Magic Chef thermostat removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideberth

Reaction score
Hello, first post do bear with me.

I just got a little magic chef fridge that by my measurements should fit two corny kegs and a 5 lb bottle. But the only problem I see is the thermostat on the inside. I only paid $30 for the thing, so I have taken some liberties in dicking around with the thing (door shelves gone, freezer tray successfully) bent back), but the thermostat is the sticking point. I jimmied it loose, and it looks like there is a big black cable going in to it and then the little sensor wire coming out.

My question is, can i remove this somehow or move it around somehow? I really want to be able to have 2 kegs going in there with taps on the door.

Thanks for the help.

I moved my thermostat back until my second keg fit. I still had to put a collar on mine to fit two kegs.

DSCF5437.jpg

DSCF5438.jpg

thanks for the response. It is funny to see the same little fixes at work. I did the same thing this morning of pushing the thermo back, and was eyeing cutting off the shelving lips with a razor blade. thanks for sparing me the dissapointment of finding out I will still need to build a collar even after all that. I might just run in one keg mode until I have some more time.

what did you use as a liner on your door? Can I just leave the insulation showing?

thanks again.

The door liner is a piece of plastic ceiling light cover from Home Depot. Just enough to hide the insulation and mount the rubber door gasket on.

With the mini-keg I am able to have three brews on tap. I am planning on having Rootbeer for the wife when I get a second regulator. I just fill the mini-kegs from my cornies. The tap is homemade modified from several place on the internet. This is one link
http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonation/TappingandDispensing.htm

Back