Magic Bullet for grain mill??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

So I've been doing AG BIAB for a while now...I don't own a grain mill, and of course better efficiency is achieved with this method if the grain is milled more finely. Does anybody see a problem with "milling" it in a magic bullet.

Thanks,

Delaney

I had to do a couple pounds in a blender a few weeks ago...worked pretty well, very fine crush.

Will the magic bullet handle the quantity? I had to do a few cups at a time in a blender.

yeah might take time...but that's okay. I was more so wondering whether too fine of a milling could be problematic.

IMHO I would think that the bullet would pulvarize the husks too much and cause astringency to be extracted. You do get better efficiency with a finer mill but it's a trade off between astringency extraction.

I mill mine REALLY fine for efficiency and have never had an astringency problem.

I would point out, however, that for less than $30 you can get a Corona mill. It'll go a lot faster and easier than the magic bullet, and be a lot more consistent. I personally like the two bucket setup like this.

Astringency is from pH deviation, not fineness of grind. Big breweries mill to flour and then squeeze the grain against fine filters using air bags to maximise efficiency.

I wonder how much pressure a grain bag can take and how we could best squeeze it.

+1 for the corona mill. I got mine for $15.

The magic bullet isn't really designed to be used for any extended time. Mine always seems like it might overheat after grinding half a pound of coffee beans.

what about a vitamix? I have one of those and never thought about using it for BIAB

+1 here. Magic bullet probably couldn't do it but I bet a Vitamix could! That thing hums!

But don't think to buy one for milling - it's like 500 bucks. My wife and I have vitamix but I'm sure I'd get vaporized in a death stare if I even mentioned trying to add it to my brewing setup. lol :cross:

+1 for the corona mill. I got mine for $15.

The magic bullet isn't really designed to be used for any extended time. Mine always seems like it might overheat after grinding half a pound of coffee beans.

+2 for corona mills, they get bad reviews but I've never had any problems

And the magic bullet is definately not meant for extended use, it will turn itself off before overheating though (according to the manual at least)

I had to google "magic bullet" to see what it is. I think something with whirling blades will not last long grinding barley or not be so useful for other things after its been grinding barley on a regular basis.

I've paid up to 40 cents a pound to have my HBSS grind my grains. I got a Millars Mill and have been very happy with it. I can turn it by hand or with a drill. It'll handle 7 lbs of grain at time. But from what I've seen here, plenty of people do well with a corona mill, which is much less expensive. So it is good to know that there are a number of good options for grinding grains.

Brew on!

I tried using a MB and it overheated before I got through more than a pound or two. Like burn your hand hot. Getting a grain mill was the second best thing that I ever got (after my wort chiller).

Latest posts

Back