Maelstrom and little big mouth bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlley

Reaction score
Wanted to share what I think is s good combo. Decided to upgrade from the diy stir plate to the maelstrom. Saw the "little big mouth bubbler" expansion kit at northern brewer and realized it might be a great $20 4l starter vessel. As a bonus, the bubbler comes with a blow off hose and some fermcap. Only stirring water right now but so far so goodView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428447494.790818.jpg

How flat is the bottom? I started out with glass gallon jugs. They worked great for 1-2L of just water. Increase the volume and add DME + yeast and my stir bar was throwing when I wasn't careful.

It's pretty flat. I ran a1" bar up to full speed with no issues. Ran it at 1/2 speed for 2 hours where the vortex went about 1/2 down. Ordered a 2" bar as well and will try that out too.

I have to say the magnets on the maelstrom are a lot beefier than the little project box/cpu fan I've been using.

Have a 3.5l stater going now with a 2" stirrer. Speed 1 (of 5) is sufficient and there's no issues at all. I'm pretty pleased with this setup

I'm just bumping this because I was looking at buying a 5L flask and stumbled into this through a Kombucha kit for $45. It's the same prices ads buying the flask only this is a LITTLE bigger at 1.5 gallons totall volume but also is easier to clean. The only thing I can think of being difficult will be filling a small mason jar prior to pitching yeast. I harvest from starters. I'll have to try this out on my stirstarter and see how it goes. I might even buy a bigger stir bar to work with this.

Back