made an interesting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BcToker

Reaction score
so i got a coopers pilsener kit and used 500g amber dme and 300g dextrose. i realize i should have used light dme but the brewstore didnt have any so its been fermenting for 2 and a half weeks at 18 celcius. Im about to bottle and ive been tasting it, its very good but has a strange flavor... is it because it needs bottling time or because i used amber dme and pilsener is supposed to be light? im new to this so any insight would help. also im going to lager it so like 4 weeks in bottle at 15 celcius?

I don't see a problem with using amber DME.

Proper lagering should be close to freezing temps, just about 1 celcius, or 34F.

Have patience with it. If your sanitation was solid, then any off flavours you may be experiencing are probably due to the beer just being young, or 'green', as it's called.

Your finished beer may not taste exactly as expected, but you may find that it tastes better than what you were targeting.

Please follow up after you age it a while.

Back