made a dyslexic mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fj3fury

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of munton's beer and grabbed a 5lb bag of sugar which I thought was a 2lber... It was a 2.27 kg bag instead. Well i didn't find out until way after the fact what kind of havoc can I expect?

Well higher alcohol beer for one. I have used some sugar in the past and I have had to let it bottle condition longer. I know form wine making that the higher the alcohol the greater the "bite" there is. In beer there might be some off flavors that are undesirable. In time it might taste good, but it is going to take a couple of months. As far as the buzz factor it will do the job.

I am sure others with some more experience will provide more information.

It'll probably be a lot thinner and lighter in body than you planned. Might have some hot alcohols. The ferment might take a bit to finish out as well.

I think I may plan for a secondary fermentation and an extended period of time for it to work off. May be that will help level it off.

I learned early on....

Get a scale. Weigh your own ingredients. I've found .87 oz and 1.25 oz. of hops in two separate "1 oz." bags. Do this and you won't make the same mistake.

Well I sampled the one 1.25 keg that I didn't secondary ferment at Thanksgiving. It was complemented a bit by various family members. The other four that got secondary fermented are still aging in the other kegs. I'll break one loose in a few weeks during the Christmas New Year's week blitz.

I remember struggling to move a 30 lb sack of concrete mix, which really 30 kilos!

Sounds like it turned out okay. I suspect the higher ABV reduced the mouthfeel and gave it a cleaner finish.

Back