made a bit of a schoolboy error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I picked up a second brewcraft fermenter tonight for half the retail price, the guy i got it from bought it as a whole deluxe package so it came with an extra spopon, hydrometer, airlock etc and it also came with a brewcraft munich lager kit which i have happily just finished making, now the thing is that after i was sitting there reading the can i saw the BBE date which was October 2010!

I stupidly just assumed this guy had bought the kit recently and he said he just hadn't got the time to brew his own beer so i went ahead and brewed it, do you think i should just cut my losses, pour the whole lot down the sink and go and get a fresh kit or let it go and see what happens.

The kit itself (LME) smelt fine when i was pouring it into the fermenter and smelt like other lager kits i had made when i topped it up to 23 litres?

Yeah, you've already brewed it. Best case you have good beer to drink. Worst case you give alot of it away to friends and say it was an experiment. ;)

The only thing I'd be worried about is the yeast still being viable. But you brewed it already, so I'd let it sit for a week or so and take some gravity readings. If it didn't ferment, you can always re-pitch another packet of yeast.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the yeast still being viable. But you brewed it already, so I'd let it sit for a week or so and take some gravity readings. If it didn't ferment, you can always re-pitch another packet of yeast.

This. Might not be as 100% tasty if the other ingredients were a tad stale, but you probably won't notice. If the yeast isn't viable, worst thing is you'll have to repitch.

I re-pitched as the old yeast was no good and now I have a very active fermentation and it smells great, looking forward to trying this old kit now!

Good deal! Just be sure to wait a little longer then normal in the primary to be sure that everything drops out of your beer, including what old yeast may be floating around in there.

It should be just fine. My first batch was a Coopers kit in a can that the guy at the brew shop gave me because it was a few months over. Still made a decent beer.

Back