M34d Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
ok, so i want to make a mead using trappist ale yeast (WL 500) and i have not heard much about doing such things to mead! i heard one person say that by blending buckwheat honey and trappist yeast, an awesome beverage was spawned forth.

has anyone done this?

i plan on 15 pounds of _________ honey
wl 500 yeast
yeast nutrient
powdered tannin
a bucket.

Are you seriously considering trying to ferment pure honey with WLP500? I suppose it won't hurt anything and all you'll lose is the cost of the yeast. You can always add water and referment.

Buckwheat honey has some pretty bold flavors. I had a mead that was made with only buckwheat honey. It was thirteen years old and still had a really bold flavor. The meadmaker said that it was undrinkable for seven years! I would suggest using buckwheat for 50%, or less, of the fermentables.

Ok...So I thought I'd ruined my Braggot by using a very pungent wild flower honey....It smells awful. The thing is, it's kida got that "barnyard" Smell of a nice funky Belgian. I'm very much wishing I'd have used a Trappist strain of yeast instead of the D-47 that I did....I will likely be making another variation of this the next time I make a stout and can do it as a partygile again. I think this could be the secret ingredient to some pretty good stuff. And just for reference....Summersolstice says that Buckwheat and Dark Wildflower honey have similar "Strong Flavors" so I think that the Buckwheat could be right where you need to be.
Are you seriously considering trying to ferment pure honey with WLP500?
I think he's planning to top up with water! At least I hope that is the plan.

Are you seriously considering trying to ferment pure honey with WLP500? I suppose it won't hurt anything and all you'll lose is the cost of the yeast. You can always add water and referment.

my bad forgot to mention water is an ingredient. 15 pounds, water enough to make 5 gallons.

You might back off the honey a bit, depending on the attenuation of the yeast (I'm too lazy to look it up).

I've done plenty with S-33 yeast, which is kind of an odd strain, sometimes referenced as a trappist-esque yeast. It'll crap out at 13% though.
I would not go pure buckwheat honey though...it is strongly flavored.

Back