Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why using that much Epsom salt? How many grams do you think it was?
Besides deliberate mineral additions, don't we usually add an acid for pH corrections?

Don't you use a mash/sparge water calculator?

no i don't use a calculator, i use a ph meter.....i'd guess it took about 4-5, maybe 6 grams of epsom salts in a 10 gallon batch.....sometimes, the epsom just won't get it there on it's own, but i'm out of phos acid, and i would have had to use pool acid...or sulfuric drain opener....lol....i meant LIGHT palm fulls, kinda like a pinch but with my palm.....

edit: when i adjust ph, i just put a bit in, stir the mash, check it with meter again until it's at 5.3..be it potassium bicarb, or epsom salt....i think my municipal water changes sources often, sometimes after dough in, i get 5.1-5.0 and have to add bicarb to get it up...other times i have to acidify....and yes i just stick my probe in the mash tun at full temp with my manual temp correct set to 60c, i'm not sure if it's 'accurate' but i know when i dial it to 5.3 i get the best effec.....

Last edited:
I'd need 72 grams of Epsom Salt instead?

that's why i use a meter and not a calculator.....i tried that before i used a meter and, i'm assuming it was so acidic it wouldn't ferment....i complained about it on the morebeer forum, they just told me to join AA.....:D

Back