Low flow after manifold....help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleks192

Reaction score
I just installed a 4 way manifold on one of my gas lines of my keezer. The tank has a dual regulator on it, I wanted to keep one for carbing and then use the rest for serving pressure, I like to keep it simple and don't really vary on volumes that much. This also allowed me to move my tank outside my keezer.

My first observation, and its weird, is that my serving pressure seems low compared to what it was, and when I bleed the tanks from the top, they are slow to repressurize. I can tell its a much slower pour from the tap as well.

The ID of the line from the regulator is the same as it was, the regulator setting hasn't changed at all, but I can't for the life of me figure out why gas would flow slower than before (unless the ID of the ball valves controlling the manifold outputs is significantly smaller, but I can't see it being that drastic).

Now, my question is do I turn up the pressure to compensate, although I wouldn't know what it is outside of what the reg is set at? Or do I just leave it, the pressure will be 12psi regardless what the flow rate out the tap is and it won't cause a problem? Search did not help me in this case

TIA!

I would not increase the pressure, you'll over carbonate. You most likely have a volume restriction. My guess is tephlon tape is covering a port. Do you havea kit with a check valve? I bought a manifold kit with a check and I discarded it.

I have a Manifold with a check also. I wouldn't discard it because it will keep beer from creeping back to the regulator in the event of wrong hose / wrong fitting. Also many brewers use checks without an issue. I had a similar problem with mine when I bought it. However it was only on one valve. Seems the assembly guy was a bit to liberal with the sealant. It was packed into the valve. I disassembled the whole thing and reassembled with Teflon tape. No more problems. Not saying this is your problem too, just that it's a place to start.

They do have checks, in each one. I tried multiple to see if it was overall and it seemed that way. They are 1/4" valves, which is a slight reduction. I was cleaning my lines and just pushed starsan and it seems the rate of flow will be ok, I'll wait it out and see what happens

They do have checks, in each one. I tried multiple to see if it was overall and it seemed that way. They are 1/4" valves, which is a slight reduction. I was cleaning my lines and just pushed starsan and it seems the rate of flow will be ok, I'll wait it out and see what happens

Inline checks are spring loaded and may take a little pressure loss to open them. Perhaps this is what you are seeing? In any case, as long as the flow can keep up with the CO2 absorption rate or your beer, which is low, you will be fine. As an example, my primary (30 psi) & secondary (10-20 psi style dependent) system flows so slow that I close the secondary regulator outlet valve to set pressure for a quick response, then open it to fill the keg. It could take 15-30 minutes for pressure to stabilize at the setting.

Well, I tried to do a slow carb (a week at 12.5psi), which would work in the past on the output from the regulator.....didn't work. Even the roll carbing didn't work well with that manifold, just doesn't flow enough. Ended up making a dedicated carbing line direct to regulator. It can pull C02 fast enough to make the regulator buzz, and carb in no time. I may pull apart the manifold and take anything out that would be restricting flow. For serving it seems to be ok though

Back