Love real country music, but hate the damned beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I have been to two concerts in the past few weeks. Caught Merle Haggard first a few weeks back, and the show was what you expect of Merle. Dropped into the beer room (they had a room set aside in the theatre) only to find a wall of Miller Lite and those mojito type wine coolers, that was it :(

Glad we made a pitstop into a spot that I know serves local microbrews first.

Then, last night I was jacked to see Hank III with Assjack, and Those Poor Bastards were the opener. This time the beer selection was deeper than just the one brand..... yet it was still all yellow and fizzy:mad:

The concert was great, but would have been a much better experience with some decent beer.

I'm either gonna have to start enjoying BMC :p or change my taste in music.

Denny, that's why you show up a few hours early with a big cooler in the trunk filled with your favourite beer and tailgate the concert hall parking lot before the show. I've never had a problem doing that. :ban:

Change your taste in music. Your ears will love you for it! ;)

C'mon man...

I guess it's a matter of taste. But, "The Hag" is still cool as hell!!! The dude has lived his music. He spent most of his youth in and out of prison. Not that going to prison is anything to be proud of but at least you know he's been, there done that when he sings prison songs.

38 #1 hits and still going.
3 Grammys and about a dozen country music awards.

A few of my Favorites:

Today I started loving you again...
The Lonesome Fugitive...
Mama Tried... (I turned 21 in prison doin' life without parole... That's poetry man.)
Sing me back home...
Big City...
Working mans blues.. (That opening guitar riff is pure Honky Tonk...)
It's not love. (But it's not bad) ...

I guess country music is like most other kinds of art. You either feel it or you don't. I grew up on what is now "Classic Rock" and Metal. But after hearing Hotel California and Sweet home Alabama for the millionth time I found myself bored. And Metal... Well, I guess I just "grew up".

But, about the time I turned 19 I really started listening to country music. I've been hooked every since. It's a shame that they don't make much real country music anymore... But that's a "whole nuther" subject.

I Love Merle Haggard!

(Hank III... Not so much. :( )

I'll never understand how people can listen to that garbage. It's the most depressing music on earth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to the crap they call country music on the radio. But, old school country music mixed with some of the new artists who are carrying on the flame is still good stuff.

I think you either get it, or you don't. Not that thats bad one way or the other, just personal taste.

Kinda like beer, we all have our own tastes. EVeryone these days seems to be in a competition to put more and more hops in their beer, like somebody lost a bet or something. Thats not for me, and not my stye. Give me a good nut brown or porter anyday.

Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to the crap they call country music on the radio. But, old school country music mixed with some of the new artists who are carrying on the flame is still good stuff.

I think you either get it, or you don't. Not that thats bad one way or the other, just personal taste.

Kinda like beer, we all have our own tastes. EVeryone these days seems to be in a competition to put more and more hops in their beer, like somebody lost a bet or something. Thats not for me, and not my stye. Give me a good nut brown or porter anyday.

I know what you mean. Like I said I hate country music, yet I am a huge Parrothead. And I like Bluegrass once in a while. Go figure. Oh, and I am no hophead, either.:mug:

I know what you mean. Like I said I hate country music, yet I am a huge Parrothead. And I like Bluegrass once in a while. Go figure. Oh, and I am no hophead, either.:mug:

Bluegrass is to modern country what the blues is to rock n roll. In fact. I'd go so far as to say that without bluegrass and blues there wouldn't be any rock n roll.

Come down to Texas and listen to music from the Red Dirt scene. It's way better than anything Nashville puts out.

I don't think you can blame country music for only have BMC available. Any concert venue I've been to has been the same way, for anything from Kid Rock to Pop Punk to Bluegrass.

They did have Saison Dupont at the opera though.. made it almost bearable. *shudders*

It's a generalization to connect BMC with country music, but you don't see Stone or Dogfish Head sponsoring NASCAR. ;)

I don't like listening to country, although the wife does and she doesn't like the screaming metal I listen to, so we shoot for something middle-of-the-road or nothing when we're in the car together. But we can both agree on one thing: we'd rather listen to the other's music than (C)RAP. I'd rather be tortured with Björk's wailing than listen to that sh¡t. :rolleyes:

It's a generalization to connect BMC with country music, but you don't see Stone or Dogfish Head sponsoring NASCAR. ;)

I don't like listening to country, although the wife does and she doesn't like the screaming metal I listen to, so we shoot for something middle-of-the-road or nothing when we're in the car together. But we can both agree on one thing: we'd rather listen to the other's music than (C)RAP. I'd rather be tortured with Björk's wailing than listen to that sh¡t. :rolleyes:

all so true.... As a DJ I have to play some rap, but have started focusing on events where I don't have to. Honestly, I used to like some hip-hop, but cant' stand the S@$T that is out today. Kinda the same with country, I don't listed to radio country. Its all the same crap.

That being said, here's a little bit of what I took in this weekend. It went form goth country, to old school, to Hellbilly, to Assjack screaming metal. In a word, AWESOME.

(sorry, i havn't figured out how to imbed these damned videos yet :mad:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES79olrMH24&feature=related]YouTube - Those Poor Bastards - "Stay Away From The Forest Boy"[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEY8ARSGHTU&feature=related]YouTube - HANK WILLIAMS III - Dick In Dixie[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=escWLa1MvkQ&feature=related]YouTube - HANK WILLIAMS III - Punch Fight ****[/ame]

and finally :rockin:

[ulr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9LmyMeokg4&feature=related[/url]

That being said, here's a little bit of what I took in this weekend. It went form goth country, to old school, to Hellbilly, to Assjack screaming metal. In a word, AWESOME.

Bump... found this searching for other stuff. That Hank III tour was incredible! Those Poor Bastards are pretty good for a 2-man band! One helluva talented drummer to play keyboard and drum at the same time.

Hank III never fails to entertain. I've seen him at least 4 times now and it's always fun! I love metal, I love punk and I love dirty country music (not the sappy radio crap). Hank III is the only place where I can get all of that in one fun evening.

Yep, that show was epic. Gary Lindsey if freakin insane.

This is the first time I have caught the show, I've been a fan for years. :rockin:

I have been to two concerts in the past few weeks. Caught Merle Haggard first a few weeks back, and the show was what you expect of Merle. Dropped into the beer room (they had a room set aside in the theatre) only to find a wall of Miller Lite and those mojito type wine coolers, that was it :(

Glad we made a pitstop into a spot that I know serves local microbrews first.

Then, last night I was jacked to see Hank III with Assjack, and Those Poor Bastards were the opener. This time the beer selection was deeper than just the one brand..... yet it was still all yellow and fizzy:mad:

The concert was great, but would have been a much better experience with some decent beer.

I'm either gonna have to start enjoying BMC :p or change my taste in music.

all theses fag hags bitching about your taste in music dont know what thay are talking about. ( i am a metal head but i support you right to like want you want)
i have been to tons conserts and very very few of the large type have any thing other than yellow fizzy. teh small ones its just up to the venue. many states have laws that force large shows (IE outdoor or arena) to only sale 3.2%abw beer , so it does not matter who is playing all thay will have is 3.2 BCM ,, here in oklahoma every thing at the stores (non liqure store that stuff is normal but not cold so no BCM or its distrib partners) is 3.2% be we have alot of stuff thats imported 3.2 just for us and the other 3.2 states

Ceedubya,

You see, the thing is the music you like really shouldn't be in the same genre as the crap they play on country music stations. People are confused! All the songs are about how hibillies live the simple life and junk like that while all the people listening are wearing brand new everything and driving some $40,000 massive beast truck while on the cell phone. These guys are PROUD TO DRINK BMC! They always ask me why I buy sissy fancy beer like dead guy and guiness, they just don't like things that are good. Hank senior, well all the Hanks' would pimpslap these guys back to their "ranch" if they could.

it's unfortunate that one must have to modify the term 'country music' with 'old school'. today's country, with the exception of very few, is nothing more than 'pop' music. if you want to get a good feel for what country music is all about, listen to some really old george jones or hank williams, sr. a raunchy steel guitar and some fiddle that sounds like it's going to blow your ear drums out is about the finest thing a man can hear... in my opinion...

glad to hear you went to see merle... i almost think there's something right about good old country music and schwag beer. when listening to country, i almost wish they still had the old pop tabs on beer. a good old can of schlitz or something, getting ready to do something dirty. but none of that lime flavored ****... sorry for the rant.

Ceedubya,

You see, the thing is the music you like really shouldn't be in the same genre as the crap they play on country music stations. People are confused! All the songs are about how hibillies live the simple life and junk like that while all the people listening are wearing brand new everything and driving some $40,000 massive beast truck while on the cell phone. These guys are PROUD TO DRINK BMC! They always ask me why I buy sissy fancy beer like dead guy and guiness, they just don't like things that are good. Hank senior, well all the Hanks' would pimpslap these guys back to their "ranch" if they could.

Yes sir..... I agree with the assesment of todays "country" music and the "outlaws" on CMT. talkin about the good ol days drinking a keg in the closet, blah, blah, blah.... makes me sick. They got no heart, no soul, no hurt, no pain. None of the stuff that makes good music good. Just the same ol pop crap......

Yep, the Williams boys would put the smack down on em all!!

it's unfortunate that one must have to modify the term 'country music' with 'old school'. today's country, with the exception of very few, is nothing more than 'pop' music. if you want to get a good feel for what country music is all about, listen to some really old george jones or hank williams, sr. a raunchy steel guitar and some fiddle that sounds like it's going to blow your ear drums out is about the finest thing a man can hear... in my opinion...

glad to hear you went to see merle... i almost think there's something right about good old country music and schwag beer. when listening to country, i almost wish they still had the old pop tabs on beer. a good old can of schlitz or something, getting ready to do something dirty. but none of that lime flavored ****... sorry for the rant.

Damn, that would be sweet...... I could get into that for sure.

Damn, that would be sweet..... I could get into that for sure.

when budweiser came out with the 'classic' cans, the band i was playing in at the time was messing around with an electric old school country sound. we'd buy a ****load of the old lookin bud cans and try to make the sound of our music match the era on the can... i think all that happened was we got wasted and sounded like ****. fun times!

Back