Losing Heat with Reflectix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeller

Reaction score
Ok so I just recently decided to try the reflectix wrap for a no fire MLT. I did as i've read on forums, I wrapped it 4 times and even made a nice cap. I then did a test with only 150 deg water. I have a lid between the reflectix cap too.
It lost 8 degrees in about an hour on a 70 degree day. I dont get it.

Is it because once i add the grain and get a mash it will hold heat better?

I can remove the reflectix and direct fire but with my big burner and doing it by hand (i have no auto system) will be tough to stay within a few degrees.

I'm coming from indoor small batch brewing so this is all new to me so any help appreciated

Thanks,
Scott

The grain will provide the thermal mass that will hold in most of the heat you lost in your test. Don't unwrap yet.

I had a similar experience when I had no burner for my 15 gallon HD SS MLT. I ended up having to either fill it with higher temp water in anticipation of that temp drop or fill, let it absorb the heat, pump out, and refill before mashing in. Now I have that third burner and I heat the MLT slowly with direct fire and really never have to add any heat after mashin.

There is much more thermal mass with the grain. You will lose significantly less with a full tun.

Last edited:
Thought of another thing. How long is your temp probe? My original was only 2" and it showed a few degrees of temp drop, because it was so close to the edge, I assume, which loses heat faster. Got a nice 6" probe and now I don't lose a single degree, according to my thermo at least. Didn't fix the issue but made me feel better (that reflectix might actually be a remedy for this).

Anyway, preheat that bad boy and you should be good.

Thought of another thing. How long is your temp probe? My original was only 2" and it showed a few degrees of temp drop, because it was so close to the edge, I assume, which loses heat faster. Got a nice 6" probe and now I don't lose a single degree, according to my thermo at least. Didn't fix the issue but made me feel better (that reflectix might actually be a remedy for this).

Anyway, preheat that bad boy and you should be good.

Mine is a Blichman 2". I didnt think of this being possibility, but I should have because i've read about many using the 6" probe for Mash to get a better sample of the grain in the middle.

I was thinking of pre-heating then slippipng the reflectix back over the tun (i made it so its snug but i can still slide it on/off). But its only rated for like 160 or 180 degrees and the side of the kettle i think at the bottom would be hotter than that. I have not tested it - fear melting it to the kettle and being messy.

Good suggestion though

I use reflectix on my grainfather.
As long as it is not on direct flame, it will take higher temp fine. I use it for the boil with an electric unit and it has held up fine against the side of the boiling kettle for more than an hour, as long as it isn't near the flame

I use reflectix on my grainfather.
As long as it is not on direct flame, it will take higher temp fine. I use it for the boil with an electric unit and it has held up fine against the side of the boiling kettle for more than an hour, as long as it isn't near the flame

Great info thank you! So mine goes all the way down to bottom of skirt so not sure. i could cut it below the the seam since that really isnt covering the inside of the pot

IMG_0922.jpg

Back